What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen weirdness

eliteserpent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently purchased (two weeks ago) a white 64Gb WiFi version, very happy... well at least I was till the screen started to do weird things... I was fairly oblivious to it initially until it became more obvious part of the capacitive touch screen was not working correctly (see pic for proof)

Has anyone seen anything like this, I am guessing apple should simply replace the unit as it appears defective :(

(pic was just me drawing on a paint prog up and down)

Attachments

• screen grab.JPG
    screen grab.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 675

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've already tried a reboot of the iPad by doing this: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

...and it didn't work, then yes, I'd say it's time for a trip to Apple to get that iPad replaced.

Marilyn

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I've looked at the screen.....I'm thinking that you think it's a dead pixel problem, but if you look closely it's not a straight line where the pixels are missing, so this rules out a pixel banding problem.
Let us know how the reboot goes.
Just as a sideline, are you jail broken? Have you downloaded anything previous to this happening?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like a hardware failure in the touch screen itself; especially if you find that other apps tend fail to detect touches in the same screen area.

As Marilyn said, if a reset doesn't do the job then you probably need to go to Apple for a replacement.

OP
eliteserpent

eliteserpent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've already tried a reboot of the iPad by doing this: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

...and it didn't work, then yes, I'd say it's time for a trip to Apple to get that iPad replaced.

Marilyn

Yes, I rebooted, as I thought the software was just buggy.
Not jail broken, and misbehaves in all apps
Visually the pixels are fine.

Trip back to the store then.
Thank you all for your help :)

DVDKEV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with my ipad. Typing on its own, changing page size, moving about in applications etc, I spent days working on a fix and have finally solved it.

I hope this benefits others;

1) Download latest itunes to a computer.
2) Connect ipad to the computer using white usb cable.
3) Transfer all purchases etc.
4) Disconnect from itunes.
5) go to settings on the ipad and choose the General option, scroll to bottom and select Reset.
6) choose erase all content and settings.
7) reconnect the ipad to the computer. wait for itunes to find the ipad.
8) on the ipad select set up as new ipad etc until it shows the icons.
9) on itunes select restore ipad.
10) leave itunes to download the latest software. it might take 30mins. dont touch it.
11) when the download is complete it will restore the ipad with latest software.
12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

post here if this helps you.

supersonic_04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked for me!!

I did it and it worked. A little annoying if it happens often though:)

I had this problem with my ipad. Typing on its own, changing page size, moving about in applications etc, I spent days working on a fix and have finally solved it.

I hope this benefits others;

1) Download latest itunes to a computer.
2) Connect ipad to the computer using white usb cable.
3) Transfer all purchases etc.
4) Disconnect from itunes.
5) go to settings on the ipad and choose the General option, scroll to bottom and select Reset.
6) choose erase all content and settings.
7) reconnect the ipad to the computer. wait for itunes to find the ipad.
8) on the ipad select set up as new ipad etc until it shows the icons.
9) on itunes select restore ipad.
10) leave itunes to download the latest software. it might take 30mins. dont touch it.
11) when the download is complete it will restore the ipad with latest software.
12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

post here if this helps you.

Most reactions

Latest posts