What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad screen life

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there anything known about the life of the screen? i was wanting to put on the night stand app and leaving the display turned on all night. can this damage the screen or leave burn in, r are those things of the past?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the general concencus is that you can leave the iPad screen on 24/7 without any problems. 'Screen burn' only occurs on the old CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors, which are - more or less - a thing of the past. Modern displays, such as that on the iPad, use an entirely different technology (TFT) - 'similar' to that used in the LCD display of wrist watches (OK - this is not technically accurate, but I'm just trying to suggest that the iPad display does not suffer in the same way as CRT).

Also, on the iPad, the backlighting is provided by LEDs (light emitting diodes) which have a very long lifetime - of the order of 100, 000 hours. Older displays used a variant of fluorescent lighting which was more prone to failure.

Yes - there have been reports of iPad display failures (some reported in this Forum) but I don't think any of these were in any way related to the time the display had been left on - rather they were simple component failures unrelated to the unit being left on for extended periods.

You'll see that even Apple advocate the iPad being left on 24/7, since they provide a facility for it to display a slide-show when in 'sleep' mode.

Bottom line? - no need to worry.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts