What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad screen cracked

fadlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to know what can I do, my daughter drop my Ipad 3G and the screen cracked.

djbin56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's nothing you can do, except buy a new screen. I don't think apple warranties cover stuff like that if you or a relative is at fault. If you had the ext. warranty, maybe.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will start try to go to the apple store and be really cool with them to see if they help you. Many cases they had replace it but is not a guarantee.

OP
F

fadlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, do you know how much for a screen replacement ??

Abs1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fadlp said:
I need to know what can I do, my daughter drop my Ipad 3G and the screen cracked.

Unfortunately, this just happened to me, and Apple will not repair the screen but will sell you a replacement unit for about 30% off the retail price (in exchange for your unit). This applies even if you buy their "apple protection plus" plan -- a complete rip off that basically turns out to cover nothing that would ever actually go wrong. The prior posts about Apples' willingness to replace the unit under the protection plan are out of date. The store clerk told me that they were no longer doing so even though they had previously told customers that they would. Obviously, a big defect in the iPad is the fragility of the screen, which seems to shatter very easily.

OP
F

fadlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment I will go to apple store and see, I'll tell you the answer.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just go there, be polite, honest and sincere. There's still a chance they'll replace the device for free. Happened for me (last month) and many others who had cracked screens, but it's purely a case-by-case basis and depends on who you're dealing with.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmmm glass that shatters very easily...most glass will break when dropped on concrete... even gorilla glass..how can you call it a fragile or a defect...negligence is not warrantied by any other manufacturer...go crash your car and ask nissan or ford for new car and tell them it was a design flaw on there part so they have to replace it for free...come on people..apple will give you a break in the price what more do you want

toula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cracked screen

I have the same problem....
We are not asking for a new ipad. What we are asking for is for a screen replacement and I am willing to pay for it!
We are not asking for a new car (like dMog is saying!). Imagine dMog, if you break your car's flash light and Nissan asks you to buy a new car because it doesn't have flash light replacements. This is crazy!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have the same problem....
We are not asking for a new ipad. What we are asking for is for a screen replacement and I am willing to pay for it!
We are not asking for a new car (like dMog is saying!). Imagine dMog, if you break your car's flash light and Nissan asks you to buy a new car because it doesn't have flash light replacements. This is crazy!

The issue is that the screen is a major cost in the iPads price. To pay them to replace the screen would be nearly half the price of a brand new iPad. There is not much else inside the case other than a small controller board, antenna's, and batteries.

Same with iPhones, you can buy a new one under contract for $199 or pay $99 to have screen replaced.

There are third party companies that will do it for cheaper prices though.

This is also why I like the Bestbuy replacement plan over AppleCare. Bestbuy will replace it with broken screen. Also with Bestbuy, if the iPad breaks after a new iPad is released, you can get the new model.

Last edited:

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is only if you purchase the best buy warranty plan...and what is that cost... i would also say that if they will replace an ipad 2 free of charge if it breaks with an pad 3 they are going to be giving away a lot of free ipad3 when everyone accidentally drops their ipad 2 within 24 hours of the ipad 3 hitting the shelves...as to the original poster...you ARE willing to pay for this if you break it accidentally.... however, most other people DO expect and demand their own negligence to be over looked ..some of the posters also thought it is ok to not make an appointment at the genius bars because they can just walk in and demand to get to the front of line just because they should not really have to wait.. and be damned to the people that actually made their appointments, those people, that made appointments will simply have to wait.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
dMog said:
that is only if you purchase the best buy warranty plan...and what is that cost... i would also say that if they will replace an ipad 2 free of charge if it breaks with an pad 3 they are going to be giving away a lot of free ipad3 when everyone accidentally drops their ipad 2 within 24 hours of the ipad 3 hitting the shelves...as to the original poster...you ARE willing to pay for this if you break it accidentally.... however, most other people DO expect and demand their own negligence to be over looked ..some of the posters also thought it is ok to not make an appointment at the genius bars because they can just walk in and demand to get to the front of line just because they should not really have to wait.. and be damned to the people that actually made their appointments, those people, that made appointments will simply have to wait.

The Genius Bar is an amazing place. I've been twice. Once for an iPhone 4 issue (unit replaced even though warranty was 17 days expired).

The appointment system is the best. I was served within 10 minutes of my appointment time. The staff at the Apple Store in my town are
polite, efficient, and talk to you not at you, when they're explaining things.

I wish all retailers had the same after-sale service.

AA

toula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your reply,

Getting a new one under contract is not a solution. I have my current contract that I can not break.
Because break screens will continue happening, the solution would be for Apple to have licenced stores that would fix them (charging of course for the cost).

I live in Cyprus (Europe) and the only think Apple cares about here is SELLING. There is no after sale support, no Genius Bar etc.
What shall I do now? Throw my ipad2 away and buy a new one?

Now I understand why Apple's Sales are going up.....!!!!

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
toula said:
Thank you all for your reply,

Getting a new one under contract is not a solution. I have my current contract that I can not break.
Because break screens will continue happening, the solution would be for Apple to have licenced stores that would fix them (charging of course for the cost).

I live in Cyprus (Europe) and the only think Apple cares about here is SELLING. There is no after sale support, no Genius Bar etc.
What shall I do now? Throw my ipad2 away and buy a new one?

Now I understand why Apple's Sales are going up.....!!!!

Keep it if only the screen is broken. The rest of it works so it's not a lost cause. eBay for a screen fix kit, which is a new screen and stuff that you need to do the job yourself, along with instructions (plenty of YouTube instructional vids and tips abound on the web-just google it). Shouldn't cost you much. In fact, it's way less than the cost of a replacement even at discount and DIY is less than what others will charge to fix it). At least you'll have a working iPad that you can continue to use or sell. Just won't have any more warranty. If the whole thing is not working at all, you could still sell it as a parts unit and you wouldn't be totally out of money on it.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions