What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Screen color?

benji888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mbdimages.com
Hey, I consider myself a novice nature photographer and I've decided to make some free wallpaper downloads on my website, trouble is, I have been trying them out on my iPad and the greens in particular seem to be way off...anyone know of a colorsync profile for the iPad? I have a Dell 2005FPW monitor along with my MacBook Pro 13" (April '10), the photos look fine on either of those, somewhat different, but not totally freaked out like the iPad...I mean, I have bright greens (leaves, grass, etc) that are coming out way too warm and looking more like yellow/green than green. Is the iPad screen that bad at reproducing green colors or is it how I am preparing the photo?...I am using (and new to) Aperture 3 and Pixelmator, w/the sRGB color profile when exporting from Aperture. I am very happy with the Dell monitor as the color seems to be close to what my prints come out like, however, the colors are a bit warmer than most newer LED backlit monitors.

if this is in the wrong category, I'm not sure where to go for help on this...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I never payed attention before, but now that you've drawn my attention to it.

When I compair the photos synced between my iMac and iPad, the iPad is definitely a bit warmer, the greens a bit darker and less saturated looking. It isn't a lot, but it's easily apparent when viewed side by side.

The only thing I can think of is to set the iPad next to the monitor and manually create a color profile on the computer. I used to have software to do this, but don't have it loaded anymore. There are few adjustments I can make in Display settings, and get closer, but not an exact match. The D50 white point came closest.

iPad_Fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice the difference in colours too.

There does not seem to be anyway of changing the colour settings on the iPad though.

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just load some screen calibration pics onto your ipad and you'll notice the problem. The color filters on the iPad are not as strict as you'd find on a desktop monitor. All three primal colors do not go as deep, but it does have a decent coverage of sRGB.

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just load some screen calibration pics onto your ipad and you'll notice the problem. The color filters on the iPad are not as strict as you'd find on a desktop monitor. All three primal colors do not go as deep, but it does have a decent coverage of sRGB.
I've never tested an Apple laptop's monitor but that Dell 2005FPW thing certainly cannot be trusted as a color reference. From what I've seen on my Ipad, I'd say it's your monitor going way off, cuz I have my somewhat accurate sRGB monitor and it looks close enough to my iPad, not perfect but the differences are minor. The greens suck because that's how sRGB is defined.

Most reactions

Latest posts