What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad says it's full???

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry,
Videos = 47.5 GB.
When I plug the ipad into my windows machine, it shows no storage left, but I have only 2 to sync and it won't let me because of storage.

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave. Thanks so much. I did not know about that storage and how it was divided up.
I eliminated MS Office and some other apps and everything is OK
Again, thanks for your help!!!
Richard

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - 47.5/55.2 = 86% - thus, nearly all of the storage on your iPad is taken up by videos - except for referring you to this Apple Support Article (which you've probably already reviewed) which explains how to eliminate videos, TV shows, etc., not sure what else to recommend short of the 'restoration' already suggested.

Do you have a backup of your iPad, either to your PC and/or the cloud? The reason to ask is that a restoration will return your iPad to its factory settings w/ installation of the most recent iOS - the device then can be setup as if 'new' or restored via a backup - check this Apple LINK to understand the difference. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Johanna (or others who may know) - I've only once restored an iPad (old iPad 2 backup on my MBPro cabled) to a new one (current iPad Air 2) - virtually all came back except for the iWorks suite which I downloaded.

But for the OP, if he does a restoration of his iPad and then restores from a recent backup will ALL of those 'potential' videos be put back on his device? Just might help him decide what to do? Thanks - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the videos were synced to the iPad via iTunes, they'll not be included in a backup from iTunes, so they won't be restored.

Videos not directly from iTunes won't be included in an iCloud backup, which means they won't reappear if you restore from an iCloud backup.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the videos were synced to the iPad via iTunes, they'll not be included in a backup from iTunes, so they won't be restored.

Thanks Johanna - that was my thought after reading several of the links I provided - Dave :)

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, now that is clearer - basically, you have no storage left - however, you did not provide information about which apps are taking up the most space? Actually, you can take a 'screen capture' of that information (as I explained previously) on the iPad and then try to upload the image? Dave :)
Dave,
First thanks for all your help!!!
Just knowing there are people willing to give others a helping had is very special.
Somehow, after getting less afraid of blowing things up and using the photo o your screen, i found that I could most of MS Office with no problem and that one TV series had 3 years of programs. So, I deleted that and now the iPad is fine.

Funny, but a new problem cropped up. Now when I plug the iPad in, it shows the video portion as "over by 3.84gb" initially. Then after about 30 seconds goes back to normal showing 16+ GB available as storage. Go figure.

I guess what's frustrating is that I am doing things the same as a week ago when this started.

Anyway, THANKS Dave. I can live with this way.

May I ask you one question? Where do you backup your iPad? I started using the Windows hierarchy and downloaded past TV seasons onto an external hard drive. Just wonder if there is anything easier?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
..........one TV series had 3 years of programs. So, I deleted that and now the iPad is fine.

Funny, but a new problem cropped up. Now when I plug the iPad in, it shows the video portion as "over by 3.84gb" initially. Then after about 30 seconds goes back to normal showing 16+ GB available as storage. Go figure.

May I ask you one question? Where do you backup your iPad? I started using the Windows hierarchy and downloaded past TV seasons onto an external hard drive. Just wonder if there is anything easier?

Hello again - seems like you've made some progress - I don't completely understand the statement above I put in bold - i.e. are you viewing these storage numbers on the iPad and/or the iTunes on your computer? A clearer explanation might help.

Finally, concerning a backup of your iPad - see the attached screen capture from my opened iTunes app on a MBPro - my iPad was selected - note that under 'Backups', the iCloud radio button is selected - this does a wireless backup (Wi-Fi must be on) each day; also noticed the 'blue box' added - I also perform a manual backup to my laptop (the dates of the most recent ones are @ the bottom). Finally, note the 'Restore Backup..' - as suggested by Johanna & me, a restoration is still an option for you.

NOW, as to playing movies or TV shows from an external device, there are now plenty of wireless options, i.e. you do not need to store all of this media on your iPad - some searching may bring up links for you (some of which likely have my name as a poster) - let us know if you want to explore this option? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 12.49.48 PM.png

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again - seems like you've made some progress - I don't completely understand the statement above I put in bold - i.e. are you viewing these storage numbers on the iPad and/or the iTunes on your computer? A clearer explanation might help.

Finally, concerning a backup of your iPad - see the attached screen capture from my opened iTunes app on a MBPro - my iPad was selected - note that under 'Backups', the iCloud radio button is selected - this does a wireless backup (Wi-Fi must be on) each day; also noticed the 'blue box' added - I also perform a manual backup to my laptop (the dates of the most recent ones are @ the bottom). Finally, note the 'Restore Backup..' - as suggested by Johanna & me, a restoration is still an option for you.

NOW, as to playing movies or TV shows from an external device, there are now plenty of wireless options, i.e. you do not need to store all of this media on your iPad - some searching may bring up links for you (some of which likely have my name as a poster) - let us know if you want to explore this option? Dave :)
View attachment 67302
It actually looks like it did when I first contacted you. I found a way to send you a screen capture. First one here is when I just plug my iPad into my computer with iTunes already up.Nothing done at all.

Here is what it looks after I sync BEFORE there are any changes made - shows deleted or added.

After Sync.png

I guess I haven't mastered the art of uploading a file here, but you can see the two different looks I get depending on whether I sync or not. And when sync is automatic, it goes away in just a few seconds.

Thanks.
RAM

Attachments

• plug in iPad 1.png
    plug in iPad 1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 236
  • After Sync.png
    After Sync.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 233
OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought i did this correctly. Guess not.
The upper file is what it looks like AFTER I sync. The lower one is the one that comes up when I plug in the iPad but do nothing.
plug in iPad 1.png

Most reactions