What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Safari -webkit-transform:scaleY(1.25) pushes content off-page

MattE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im tweaking a website for ease-of-use by iPad users. A lot of clickable fields in the original site are too small for finger-based tapping, so I figured a quick solution would be to use the CSS3 transform:scaleY() property to make the whole site just a bit taller and easier to tap.

The problem is, when I scaleY(1.25) any html, Safari/iPad doesn't seem to acknowledge that the total SIZE of the page has changed, and the bottom 20% (.25 out of 1.25) is inaccessible even when you scroll down!

I'll attach a simple sample HTML file which gives a perfect example of the problem: I created a bunch of lines reading "Test xx" where xx runs from 50 down to 1. As you can see (if you put this html file up and browse to it with an iPad), the bottom 10 lines are cut off at the bottom of the page!

Here's the html:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <style>
            body {
                -webkit-transform:scaleY(1.25);
                -webkit-transform-origin:left top;
            }
            </style>
</head>
<body>
    Test 50<br>Test 49<br>Test 48<br>Test  47<br>Test 46<br>Test 45<br>Test 44<br>Test  43<br>Test 42<br>Test 41<br>
    Test 40<br>Test 39<br>Test 38<br>Test  37<br>Test 36<br>Test 35<br>Test 34<br>Test  33<br>Test 32<br>Test 31<br>
    Test 30<br>Test 29<br>Test 28<br>Test  27<br>Test 26<br>Test 25<br>Test 24<br>Test  23<br>Test 22<br>Test 21<br>
    Test 20<br>Test 19<br>Test 18<br>Test  17<br>Test 16<br>Test 15<br>Test 14<br>Test  13<br>Test 12<br>Test 11<br>
    Test 10<br>Test  9<br>Test  8<br>Test   7<br>Test  6<br>Test  5<br>Test  4<br>Test   3<br>Test  2<br>Test  1<br>
</body></html>
Am I misunderstanding some core concept about scaling, viewports, etc? I know the iPad interprets web-pages differently than standard web browsers to allow for different screen- and viewport-sizes, but the behavior I'm seeing just doesn't add up to me! Scaling the <body> of my page shouldn't push portions of it to some inaccessible region!

Also, when I'm scaling, firebugLite gets scaled off the bottom of the screen too! So not many options as far as debugging goes!

(As I typed this, I thought 'maybe I need to apply the scale() to html {} instead' ... So I just tried that, to no avail!)

Any tips or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt Ebel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt, welcome to the forum! Your post was moved from iPad Help to iPad Development where you're more likely to get some valuable responses. Best of luck!

OP
M

MattE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks! This one's really got me stumped!

Most reactions

Latest posts