What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Restore via iCloud

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In some respects, it is better to set a new device up as new. It takes longer, but you will have a fresh start.
Thanks..I might do that,seems a good idea,since my old one isn't broken!..

If I have some paid for apps on old one can I get these across?

I can't remember,but is the set up process straight forward, in that I give the new iPad another name, but I still use my Apple ID,and include iCloud and iCloud Drive.
Would I be able to view contents on iCloud Drive that presently exist when viewed on old iPad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The apps are tied to your ID. After setting up the iPad as new, just go App Store - Updates on your new device, select your profile picture, and go to Purchased. You can install the apps from there. Paid apps have a feature to restore the purchase, once they are installed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I have two iPads with less apps and data on one than the other,and I backup each to iCloud, does the second one backed up overwrite the other in ICloud,..i.e. If the second one has less data will this data replace what is there from the first backup.....then unable to restore the iPad that had most data!

Each iPad will have it’s own backup. If they are on the same iCloud account, both backups will be stored there. Make sure to give your iPad’s unique names, so that you can tell which backup is for which device. Depending on how much you have on each iPad, the free 5 GB of data may not be enough to fully backup both devices. There are options to reduce the backup size, so you couild minimize the backup of one or both devices.

You can restore either device from either backup; which makes it even more important that you keep track of which backup belongs to which device.

The device name is set under Settings > General > About > Name.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If my old Ipad4 is running slow,maybe due to all the apps I have,or maybe rubbish in the background and I backup and restore to a new iPad Pro is it possible that what ever causes the old iPad to be slow will do the same when restored to new iPad?

It’s unlikely but not impossible. I’d try restoring from the backup first. If everything works, you’re good. You can always erase it and setup manually if the backup is a probelm. What you do not want to do is erase the original iPad until after you are sure the new one is up and all the data is accounted for. As long as the original iPad is working, you can start over and try again.

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It’s unlikely but not impossible. I’d try restoring from the backup first. If everything works, you’re good. You can always erase it and setup manually if the backup is a probelm. What you do not want to do is erase the original iPad until after you are sure the new one is up and all the data is accounted for. As long as the original iPad is working, you can start over and try again.

Thank you,....how do I erase a restored backup?

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sign out of iCloud on your iPad. Then go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings.

How do you sign out of iCloud?...
What is relationship between iCloud and iCloud Drive?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you sign out of iCloud?...
What is relationship between iCloud and iCloud Drive?
iCloud Drive is one of the features that are available when you use iCloud. It’s your decision whether or not to try or use it.

To sign out of iCloud, go to Settings - your name. Select iCloud, then scroll down to “Find my iPad” and disable it. Enter your iCloud password to confirm this. Then go back to the previous site with your Apple ID. If you use the same account for iCloud and Stores, just scroll down, and tap “Sign Out”.

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When viewing Apps on iPad,and particularly Purchased I notice one tab option is a list of apps Not on this IPad, presumably in iCloud.I notice some of these apps are those I no longer use, how do I delete them from this list?...are they using iCloud space, if so this is why I want to delete them.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These are apps you’ve downloaded once, and removed from this device. They don’t use iCloud space. They are listed there, just in case you wish to install them again. It’s not necessary to hide them from this list, and it’s not possible to remove them completely.

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope I can add this additional query.

I have bought a new iPad Pro and have decided to install from scratch...no backup restoring!

I have several email accounts on my old iPad,those same accounts I am going to install on new iPad, how do or can I delete accounts on old iPad but retain historic email messages on new iPad.Im thinking it will delete any old messages from new iPad and simply start from zero,with no messages in mailboxes that were on old iPad,,is this correct and can it be overcome?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the accounts on your old iPad IMAP or POP accounts?

IMAP accounts, such as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, iCloud ... will sync everything to the new iPad. When you remove emails from one iPad, the will also disappear on the other one. Removing the account from one iPad doesn’t do anything on the other one, though.

POP accounts were meant to work on one device only. If you use them on more than one iPad, problems could occur.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The accounts in question are the POP accounts,.....I have them installed on old iPad and IMac, and messages go to/from both,....but I think what you say about imap accounts might apply here also,which is a bit of a nuisance since I will use old iPad infrequently,but on odd occasion when I look at it,...it will have allemail messages unopened that have been looked at on new iPad!...I will just have to ignore them.

Most reactions