What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Restore via iCloud

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if I backup my iPad4 to iCloud wirelessly and restore to a new IPad Pro,can I remove some of the Apps on my new Pro,whilst retaining them on my old Ipad. and also remove other items ...e.g. Safari sites saved to Home screen etc,such that my new iPad has less clutter.

in effect can I have two iPads in use at same time with same AppleID,...but will it affect my IMac around synchronising....can I chose which ipad to synchronise with IMac!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you restore your new iPad from a backup of the old one, deleting apps and other home screen icons on one iPad won’t change anything on the other iPad.

You can use your Apple ID for both iPads, as well as your Mac. What syncs to the Mac, depends on the iCloud settings of your iDevices, and what you intend to sync. It’s also possible to sync both iPads with your Mac through iCloud.

That way, everything you change on one of the devices, also changes on the other ones.

If you sync Safari bookmarks between one iPad and the Mac, but disable it on the other iPad, changes you make on one of the synced devices won’t be forwarded to the iPad that’s not connected to the others; if you add a new bookmarked on the iPad that’s not syncing to the others, that bookmark will be on that iPad only.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you restore your new iPad from a backup of the old one, deleting apps and other home screen icons on one iPad won’t change anything on the other iPad.

You can use your Apple ID for both iPads, as well as your Mac. What syncs to the Mac, depends on the iCloud settings of your iDevices, and what you intend to sync. It’s also possible to sync both iPads with your Mac through iCloud.

That way, everything you change on one of the devices, also changes on the other ones.

If you sync Safari bookmarks between one iPad and the Mac, but disable it on the other iPad, changes you make on one of the synced devices won’t be forwarded to the iPad that’s not connected to the others; if you add a new bookmarked on the iPad that’s not syncing to the others, that bookmark will be on that iPad only.

Thank for that,most grateful......how can I be selective on what I sync between devices?
Are there items somewhere in settings that allows syncing of items separately or does syncing work as a whole?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the iCloud settings you will find a list of all the Apps in the iCloud or not. You can toggle them on and off on each device.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On your iPad, go to your name, then to iCloud and see what can be synced:
F8827D3E-1761-4202-BCF7-B51AAB304429.png

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On your iPad, go to your name, then to iCloud and see what can be synced:
View attachment 81035

As suggested by Jupiter7,the toggling on/off applies to Apps listed below those you show on right of screen shot?....is that correct?

How does ICloud Drive work with syncing?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That’s right. ICloud Drive is an extension of iCloud, limited to currently Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Preview.

That was true. Over time some third party apps have added synced folder to iCloud Drive. With iOS 11 and the Files app you can now create and manage syced folders in iCloud Drive both independently, and in the folders of other apps.

It’s pretty close to being a full file system, thought a fairly limited one.

The main thing to hold in mind is that the free 5 GB of iCloud data is too limited to do much more than keep your iCloud backups. If you are going to use services like iCloud Drive or the iCloud Photo Library, you pretty much have to pay for more storage. Fortunately, it’s not all that expensive.

Here is a view of my iCloud Drive space in the Files app. As you can see, there is considerably more there than the iWorks apps.

E10E8545-FD28-4DD0-BD38-3D6CCD8E6ABE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I have two iPads with less apps and data on one than the other,and I backup each to iCloud, does the second one backed up overwrite the other in ICloud,..i.e. If the second one has less data will this data replace what is there from the first backup.....then unable to restore the iPad that had most data!

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If my old Ipad4 is running slow,maybe due to all the apps I have,or maybe rubbish in the background and I backup and restore to a new iPad Pro is it possible that what ever causes the old iPad to be slow will do the same when restored to new iPad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I have two iPads with less apps and data on one than the other,and I backup each to iCloud, does the second one backed up overwrite the other in ICloud,..i.e. If the second one has less data will this data replace what is there from the first backup.....then unable to restore the iPad that had most data!
Every device has it’s own backup. It would be a good idea to name the devices differently, so that you know which one’s backup you use when restoring, if necessary.
F4AD6095-D894-4225-BBF2-AF273FEC68DF.png

You can also see how much iCloud storage space they use, when your last backup was for which device, and you can decide what exactly to backup.

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Each device has its own separate iCloud backup. If you have a particular App on both iPad, the data will be duplicated but won’t count as double your quota.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If my old Ipad4 is running slow,maybe due to all the apps I have,or maybe rubbish in the background and I backup and restore to a new iPad Pro is it possible that what ever causes the old iPad to be slow will do the same when restored to new iPad?

Yes, this can happen.

Most reactions

Latest posts