What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Reset is taking forever

bfrstlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK my teen installed some erroneous games on my iPad, so I decided to delete everything and start from scratch. I mean how bad could it be, I've had it for almost two weeks. Not that much data on it, not to many games. So I decided to delete everything and reset. Well it has been stuck on the reset screen for over 24 hours. HELP!

ForumRunner_20120710_120750.png

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK my teen installed some erroneous games on my iPad, so I decided to delete everything and start from scratch. I mean how bad could it be, I've had it for almost two weeks. Not that much data on it, not to many games. So I decided to delete everything and reset. Well it has been stuck on the reset screen for over 24 hours. HELP!

View attachment 20097

Just out of curiousity...why do the reset? You could have just long pressed the app and than delete it that way from your ipad.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Just out of curiousity...why do the reset? You could have just long pressed the app and than delete it that way from your ipad.

I think to reset the device once in a while makes sense. After all, the iPad directly from the seller is always the fastest one... Unless you jailbreak it.

Sent from the iPad using iPF. No more, no less.

OP
B

bfrstlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it was jailbroke I guess you would call it. It start acting crazy, and I tried deleting all the games he installed but it didn't help. The screen would have horrible resolution, and wouldn't come out of safe mode. I'm not very ipad/apple savy, so my idea was to start from scratch, and never allow him to touch it again.

OP
B

bfrstlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus when I plug it up to the computer, iTunes doesn't recognize it. I can't turn it off, just nothing. That circle just spins, spins, and spins.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned that it was JB'd...I am going to move this to the Hack Section...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think to reset the device once in a while makes sense. After all, the iPad directly from the seller is always the fastest one... Unless you jailbreak it.

I didn't read that she was preparing to sell her iPad...?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you tried to do the Reset from within the iPad's Settings app - on a jail broken iPad? If yes, then that explains why the iPad is still "spinning." Our advice is to never do any of the reset options offered if the iPad is jail broken. It just doesn't work...

So, try the steps outlined in this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you follow the steps exactly as written, then you should end up with a stock iPad that is running iOS 5.1.1.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I didn't read that she was preparing to sell her iPad...?

Ah, sorry to be misinformative... What I meant was the iPad is fastest when brand new out of the box. After you install new software, it slows down gradually. Every new app take their share of the CPU/GPU time and thus slows down the system.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to be misinformative... What I meant was the iPad is fastest when brand new out of the box. After you install new software, it slows down gradually. Every new app take their share of the CPU/GPU time and thus slows down the system.

Well, that's not strictly true as you have described it theTimo. The iPad does not slow down based on the number of applications you have installed. Apps are only using resources (other than disk storage) when they are running or suspended. All apps from the App store can be completely removed from RAM and will not consume any CPU or GPU resources when fully exited. You can achieve this by double tapping the home button, holding one of the icons in the task bar until they wiggle, and pressing the close icon for each and every app listed.

In that respect an iPad with 500 apps installed will run at exactly the same speed as an identical model with 1 app installed. Slow-down can only be related to apps which are currently active or suspended.

The exception to this would be jailbreak tweaks, the majority of which run as daemon processes using Mobile Substrate (and are therefore always consuming RAM). For JB tweaks, the more you install, the more precious resources you risk consuming, eventually slowing down the device of you load too many.

Hope that clarifies.

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I did was download the Remove Background tweak from Cydia, and I made it my habit that when I am done with my iPad 2 or after opening quite a few apps (I have a ton of apps on my iPad 2 that are simulation games, such as Dragonvale and Tiny Tower, that I check once a day), I activate Remove Background with Activator.

Remove Background and Activator are free, by the way.

As for the tweaks themselves, however, just don't install too many. Just either uninstall the tweaks you don't need, or inactivate them (some tweaks allows you to turn them off, such as Quasar).

OP
B

bfrstlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well thank you everyone for all of your help, a friend at work did a hard reset, and them set it back to the factory default. Like I said I am Apple retarded, so I was quit embarrassed when he did the hard shut down. Once again thanks again.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Well, that's not strictly true as you have described it theTimo. The iPad does not slow down based on the number of applications you have installed. Apps are only using resources (other than disk storage) when they are running or suspended. All apps from the App store can be completely removed from RAM and will not consume any CPU or GPU resources when fully exited. You can achieve this by double tapping the home button, holding one of the icons in the task bar until they wiggle, and pressing the close icon for each and every app listed...

Yes, that's what I'm after. The double tap is what at least I don't do too often (where are the smileys). Perhaps it's too difficult for other android users too? The system should close them down gradually by itself (another missing smiley)...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I'm after. The double tap is what at least I don't do too often (where are the smileys). Perhaps it's too difficult for other android users too? The system should close them down gradually by itself (another missing smiley)...

And of course, if you are jailbroken, there are various tweaks that let you close all apps with one single tap. WeeKillBackground is a good one! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts