What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad refuses to connect to the WiFi...

Artemix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure why, sometimes it just refuses to connect, displaying the message: "unable to connect to "yournetwork"".

It's like I input the wrong password, but its not, I just have to try like for 20+ times then all of a sudden it decides to connect.

I followed someone else advice and I clicked the "forget this network" button, but no luck, that just makes me type the password again.

Any ideas?, maybe I can deactivate the DHTCP or whatever is called.

Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Artemix - welcome to the forum! :)

You need to provide some additional information: 1) Model of your iPad & iOS being used; 2) Stock iPad or jailbroken?; 3) Are you connecting to a home network, and if so, do other devices have a similar connection issue?; 4) Have you tried using the iPad on another Wi-Fi network? and 5) Have you 'Reset' the iPad and 'power recycled' your router & modem?

Might help others provide more specific help - BTW, assume your acronym above should be DHCP (i.e. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)? Good luck! :thumbs:

OP
A

Artemix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) iPad 2 and 6.1.3.
2) stock
3) yes, home that works in every other device without problems
4) nope
5) I turned the iPad off and on, but didn "power recycle" the router, don't even know what that is or how to do it.

Right now its connected just fine, but sometimes it dc (no wifi symbol top left) and when I try to reconnect it just says the message "unable to blabla". It's like if someone changed the password, but that's not the case.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Artemis - not sure what you did by 'turned the iPad off and on', but there are two options - one is the 'Restart' the iPad, and the other is to 'Reset' the device - if a reset was not done, then you might give it a try - Directions HERE. 'Power Recycle' simply means to turn the power off (or pull the power plug), wait a while, and then re-power the devices - try that w/ the modem & router - despite your other devices working, this step may still help - not sure? Trying the iPad on another Wi-Fi network may still be worth a try, although w/ your 'intermittent' connection issue - not sure? Good luck - :)

OP
A

Artemix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like it was a signal issue, however, the iPad showed me 2 out of 3 "lines", so I didn't think that was the problem. The moment I walked closer to the router, it connected without problems. Weird.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems like it was a signal issue, however, the iPad showed me 2 out of 3 "lines", so I didn't think that was the problem. The moment I walked closer to the router, it connected without problems. Weird.

How old is the router? Do you know if it is an a, b, g, n or combo? Is it a dual band? What channel is selected? These all affect your experience. Some are distance and wall limited etc.

OP
A

Artemix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'ts old as ****, it came with the ISP combo years ago. Maybe I should call them for a replace.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'ts old as ****, it came with the ISP combo years ago. Maybe I should call them for a replace.

Just curious if your modem & router are separate devices or combined into one machine? Also, if you are 'renting' this device(s), then I'd probably give your ISP a call to investigate the situation. We use Road Runner from TW and our modem is 'rented' - has a been replaced twice at their expense - own my router, though.

Now if you own the router, then the only other suggestions from me would be to update the firmware (requires entering your web-based configuration program) and/or reset the modem (the latter would require you to re-enter your configuration data, including your security passcode). We purchased a new iMac about a month ago and I could not get my 'old' router to work w/ the OS (Mountain Lion), so bought an Apple AirPort Extreme which has worked out well - maybe your best option? Good luck - :)

OP
A

Artemix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, its combined, it's a router modem thingy.

And yes, it's in "commodato", so, it's theirs, so I can call them.

Thanks guys.

Most reactions