What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad receives mail I've already gotten on my computer

JamIsTasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently got an iPad 2, and am having some problems with the mail application.
I have a comcast.net email, which I use in Microsoft Outlook on my PC. I have an iPod that I've put this email account on too, and it works great there.

The problem is, when I update my mail on my iPad, it receives EVERYTHING, even mail that I've already received and responded to in Outlook. My iPod only receives email that I haven't received yet on outlook, which is what I want for my iPad too.

Can anyone explain how to make it so my iPad only recieves new stuff? Thanks!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have your iPad set to POP or IMAP mail protocol? Compare this with the iPod. You can find this in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts' and then click on the email account in question.

Tim

OP
J

JamIsTasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says "POP account information" on both the ipod and the ipad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doesn't look like Comcast offers IMAP. When I search their help site all I can find about IMAP is people complaining about not having IMAP. :(

Why the iPod and iPad are working differently, I don't' know. As Tim says, examine the settings closely.

If you are not deeply dependent on the Comcast email address, you may want to think about getting an IMAP account like Google. It's free, you can forward your Comcast email to it, and it will stay synced on all devices and computers. Or you can set it up as an Exchange account and keep your Contacts synced between devices as well.

Or wait until Fall. The new iCloud service will go free and you can have an Apple email address that should play nicely on all your Apple devices, and Outlook as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts