What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad really needs .... a max, min, close buttons

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most apps I have in that bar restart from th beginning when I select them. Only a few that I have actually save your status.

OP
A

a_gunslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not concerned so much about multitasking, just pere simple convenience and ease of use. Im a PC user so maybe Im just used to it, but dont all MACS have min/max/close icons anyway? Just simply hate the close home button being used for everything and I think a fair number of people would agree. First time my wife used it last week she was like "Really, I have to hit this Home button just to minimize?" :D And I see that button failing first ....

Still like and enjoy the device, but that Home button centralization I just dont like. At least provide both and give the user the choice - no problem in making 100% of the people happy is there? Simple OS updte?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I understand why you don't like it.

It seems easier to just have the function on the home button, then you don't have to look where to tap on the screen, just move your thumb over and push the button.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly don't see the need for extra buttons. This is a limited gadget with great versatility but we expect it to perform like a desktop.
More buttons means more complications and software adjustments to a gadget that's already working flat out. kiss.

One button to rule them all, one button to find them.........

OP
A

a_gunslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I understand why you don't like it. It seems easier to just have the function on the home button, then you don't have to look where to tap on the screen, just move your thumb over and push the button.

In reading the responses I guess it is just a "Subjective" preference for some. It really only comes down to a few extra clicks. But if I have my email open and click a link in the email, Safari opens and I read the material, I would sooo much rather just minimize Safari and right back where I was in the email. Same for any app. Reading an iBook, email alerts, minimize book to read email. Just so much more svelt and smooth - something I think defines Apple.

PS - and give me a Safari HOME option

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's not how the iPad works unfortunately. You only have one program available to you at any given time. I know it sucks when you are doing something like reading a book and then you get an email alert only to have to go back and open the book app again. Even if it saves your spot it's still annoying to do. So yes, I understand what you are saying now.

Not to bring up Android again, but Android OS features a "back" button, depending on the device, it might be a physical button or it might be on screen. This button does exactly what you want without the minimizing and closing part of it. This allows you to go directly back to your book instead of having to tap the home button and then tap the icon for your books again.

Maybe we'll get something similar from Apple one day, but I have a feeling it will be a while.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I don't really understand what all the fuss is about, really. The iPad essentially already minimizes/maximizes apps when you double click the home button and choose another app you were previously using in the bottom apps tray. When reading email and you come across a link, the iPad takes you into Safari, and when you want to go back to email just double tap the home button and the email app is right there above your finger to switch back over to, right where you left off. This would essentially the same experience if you were on a desktop - you have a maximized email application, you click on a link inside the client and it takes you to Firefox, Chrome, or whatever and hides the email application in the background. Then when you want to go back to reading your email you take your mouse down to the dock or the task bar (the recent apps tray for the iPad) and click the email client, which then maximizes the client on your screen.

I don't see what the problem is...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, with some apps, like my app that I use for college textbooks, as soon as I get a notification for an e-mail or something, if I go to that e-mail, and I come back to the app, it has to go through the login process again, reload the page I was on before, and everything. I know this is the apps fault, and not Apple's, but this doesn't happen on my Android phone, I simply hit the back button and it goes right back to where I left off.

OP
A

a_gunslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's not how the iPad works unfortunately. You only have one program available to you at any given time.

What, is that some commandment from the Gods that shall not be tweaked or adjusted at all costs? :D

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a feature like this on my jailbroken iPhone and yes I love it,it closes everything I have open at one time.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not understanding what a minimize button would do. iOS doesn't have windows to minimize. Double-touching the Home button brings up the tasks list so no need for another button to get there.

No need to do a "kill all" on an iOS device. This isn't Android after all. Go into an Apple store and test drive one of their display iPads. Those things have run every app on them while people play with them. Performance doesn't suffer.

Yesterday I got a message when I was trying to read a large PDF document. It said I did not have enough available memory and that i needed to close some apps to free it up. So based on that, I completely disagree with you.

Nate

au1776

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a Droid phone owner who is slowly switching to all Apple (MBP, iPad), I think the menu, back, and home buttons are things Google actually gets correct. The long press system also seems a little more intuitive at times. I'm not about to go buy an Android tablet, and I recognize these alterations would somewhat un-Apple the iPad, but I think Android is function over form in this regard.

Most reactions

Latest posts