What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad RAW photo support?

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that the iPad camera connection kit is compatible with raw files but I have a few questions before I buy it.

1. What apps can process the photos, a bit like adobe camera raw does?

2. Does anyone know if it supports the Sony a200's raw format?

Thanks

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm hadn't tried it with raw files and reading your question made me just try unsuccessfully with my sony a55. Then again it's files are 16mp and I expect they may just be too big.

I've had no problems importing jpgs from my other cameras so you may have success if you have the option to save in both raw and jpg. Unfortunately I'm all raw with this one.
That said you better try and find out if a connection is possible before you commit.

Tbh though the ipad is not going to provide anything as good as Lightroom or Photoshop, especially as the screen resolution is so limited. That said it's a great photo viewing device and some of the photo apps worth looking at are PhotoFX, Photogene, Filterstorm and Touch Retouch.
Indeed the appstore is currently showing over 800 photographic apps atm.

Hope someone else can help you with your Sony.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I have Canon 7D RAW files (25-30MB each) on my CF Card in the Apple iPad Camera Adapter, I'll get an error message about the accessory requiring too much power; and the photo app shuts down without transferring.

Remove the RAW files, and JPEG's transfer just fine; even though they're each in the 6-8 MB size range.

:D

Mikepop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can import raw files from sony,I have an a900 and a55 and the images import fine.
I cant import video from the a55 though,Im guessing its because they are 1080p.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I'll have another go later.
When I tried I kept getting a check your connection message and that was using the sony cable. Will try stuffing the card in directly.

Really want it to work as the pad is just so damnned easy to tote around.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok tried the card plugged in directly and the pictures turned up as usual, so thanks Mike. Good to know that.

OP
R

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I am glad you managed to get your card to work. Just a suggestion in your camera settings try changing the connection mode to mass storage or php to see if that works.

I really hope it works for me as I think the iPad would be a really powerful tool in the field for backing up, reviewing and even some quite good editing via crop sueyhd and photofx ultra.

Igor1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone had any problems importing raw files since 4.2?

i also have a sony a200. now my memory card reader i used to plug into my ipad connection kit says it requires too much power. it used to work pre 4.2 though :confused:

also i can import raw and jpeg as always but now wont let me edit raw. it crashes every time i try to edit it. ive tried it with several apps and even tried to send it via IM but all apps crash as soon as i touch the raw file

it all used to work perfect before, grrrrrrr :mad:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tried on 4.2 with no problems using raw and the camera card reader.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I have Canon 7D RAW files (25-30MB each) on my CF Card in the Apple iPad Camera Adapter, I'll get an error message about the accessory requiring too much power; and the photo app shuts down without transferring.

Remove the RAW files, and JPEG's transfer just fine; even though they're each in the 6-8 MB size range.

:D

I need to modify this. My Canon EOS 7D makes pretty large files, even when only shooting JPEG. The files are between 6-9 MB each. If there are more than a couple of them on the CF card, I, too, get the too much power error message.

I am still using the 3.2.2 iOS.

MelSnyder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issues with RAW files and Photogene under 4.2

has anyone had any problems importing raw files since 4.2?

i also have a sony a200. now my memory card reader i used to plug into my ipad connection kit says it requires too much power. it used to work pre 4.2 though :confused:

also i can import raw and jpeg as always but now wont let me edit raw. it crashes every time i try to edit it. ive tried it with several apps and even tried to send it via IM but all apps crash as soon as i touch the raw file

it all used to work perfect before, grrrrrrr :mad:

Under 4.2, Photogene has started trying to import the jpeg thumbnail in a Nikon RAW file. The developer mobile-pond has been unresponsive. Does anyone know another editing program that can handle RAW files under 4.2 on the iPad?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tried loading a 16 mp raw file in filter storm and it worked after a slowish load.
Excellent little app. The creator has some YouTube videos on using it.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know another editing program that can handle RAW files under 4.2 on the iPad?

Keep in mind that one camera''s RAW file is not the same as another camera's RAW file - even within the same brand and model line. That's why the high end photo apps like Photoshop et all require updated RAW converter plugins when a new camera is introduced.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fwiw PhotoFx opened the same file, PhotoPad said it was too big and offered to resize it, Photogene opened it once, but crashed on two subsequent attempts...

Most reactions