What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad questions

pados

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello!

I need a business portable computer and I am willing to consider ipad for this role, due to its excellent indoors/outdoors screen visibility and its battery life.

A) maybe a bit off-topic, but do you know any devices with similar characteristics? retina-like or better screen and great battery life

B) I would like to make sure beforehand that I will be able to do my tasks easily with ipad:

1) I want to browse the web without any limitation (like flash limitations, etc), with a browser like Chrome or Firefox, is it possible? I am interested to use chrome/firefox extensions too, is it possible?

2) I want to use limitless email checker: many accounts, attachments, etc, is it possible?

3) I want to use MS Office suite with 100% functionality: is it possible?

4) I want to use speech recognition (using major speech engines) for dictation and voice commands: is it possible?

5) I want to use pen input for hardwritting recognition: is it possible?

6) I want to use OCR on screen and documents preferably with Abbyy Finereader engine (which is top): is it possible?

7) I want to use a fully-featured pdf editor: is it possible?

8) I want to create macros, keyboard shortcuts and mouse gesture shortcuts (like in the excellent AutoHotKey engine): is it possible?

9) I want to create folders and files easily everywhere and use a regular (WindowsOS-like) file explorer: is it possible?

10) I want to be able to transfer files with other devices, without having to connect to the internet: is it possible?

11) I want to be able to use a fully functional hardware keyboard and mouse: is it possible?

generally can you inform me about ipad limitations in comparison with a regular laptop?

and any advice is highly appreciated!

thanks!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you need a Windows laptop, buy a Windows laptop. A tablet will only frustrate and disappoint you.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters. The iPad is a great tool, but it's not everyone's tool. The only thing it has going for it in your case is the retina display. You would be wasting your money. It would be akin to buying a Ducati, when you really need a pick-up truck.

If you really want an Apple product, a MacBookPro running Windows is probably the best you can hope for, but why bother? You can get Windows laptops way cheaper. All you would lose is the superior display.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You will start to struggle at 3. ( MS Office). I have not yet come across a tablet that will do all that you ask for, but we live in hope.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts