What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Processes List Translation

Is this something that would be helpful to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

citizencj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have a translation list for the standard iPad processes that explains what each one is?
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the site, have been on once before while researching, but I've never really stayed on and posted something. So I have this unique question. Many of the process names are pretty easy to understand and reflect what their purpose is or what they do. But there are also many that do not have names that clearly reflect what they do. Does anyone know of, or have a processes list with a simple description of the iPad processes? It could be really helpful for knowing what should be running and what shouldnt for Noobs like me. Thanks for any help!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) Apple tends to 'hide' the system processes of iOS from the user on the stock iPad (I don't jailbreak, so my comments do not refer to that option) - not like their OS X where 'Activity Monitor' and the terminal can be used to explore the inner workings of that operating system and to even 'kill' processes, if desired (albeit carefully! ;)).

Of course, opening the multi-task bar shows the apps that are active or in a state of suspension and these can be easily forced closed, if needed. And there are a bunch of programs in the App Store that w/ variable success can look 'below' the app level at the running processes - on my iPad Air 2, I have several battery programs and device stats apps, such as SnapStats & DeviceStats, the latter can list the background processes running (see screen capture below) and their PIDs (process ID); however, there is no way to 'kill' a process - some of the names (or abbreviations) are evident while others are not - now, do I need to know which each of these 'stands for' (there were 152 running when I took the capture)? Oh, probably not unless I could control the processes like on my Macs. So, just my 2 cents - Dave
DeviceStats.png

Most reactions

Latest posts