What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad problems

ramrod25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swear to goodness I'd throw this thing in the trash can if the Aviation programs I use were written for a tablet that uses Windows.

I've spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get two simple pdf files transfered and about 10 jpgs to the IPAD. Finally sent them out to GoogleDocs and then transfered them into the IPAD. Then went to PHOTOS and no joy.

NO pictures - somehow they ended up in the PDF reader???? xxxxx
PHP:
Removed implied language col.bris

Is there no file system to this thing??? If there is a PDF file out there in memory, why cant you get it with GoodReader, or PDF pro or whatever?

This thing is just a toy - not a seriously useful business tool and will be the last Apple thing I buy -- Yea - great for sitting around and watching movies or reading a book - Why can't you just simply hook this up to the rest of the PC world and transfer files back and forth - and them open them in the appropriate program????????

Sorry for venting -

RW

Last edited by a moderator:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, but WHY did you buy an iPad for your obvious serious purposes w/o first researching the limitations and advantages of the device? Just wondering, sorry - :)

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ramrod25 said:
Swear to goodness I'd throw this thing in the trash can if the Aviation programs I use were written for a tablet that uses Windows.

I've spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get two simple pdf files transfered and about 10 jpgs to the IPAD. Finally sent them out to GoogleDocs and then transfered them into the IPAD. Then went to PHOTOS and no joy.

NO pictures - somehow they ended up in the PDF reader???? xxxxx Removed implied language col.bris

Is there no file system to this thing??? If there is a PDF file out there in memory, why cant you get it with GoodReader, or PDF pro or whatever?

This thing is just a toy - not a seriously useful business tool and will be the last Apple thing I buy -- Yea - great for sitting around and watching movies or reading a book - Why can't you just simply hook this up to the rest of the PC world and transfer files back and forth - and them open them in the appropriate program????????

Sorry for venting -

RW

There isn't a file system. Did you not look at all the features and specifications before making your purchase? Most people who buy an iPad know there is no USB port, SD card, file system etc. I am a graphic designer and a web developer and fortunately for me I have never had an issue with transferring photos or documents back and forth between my PC, iPad or Mac. I do a lot of my synching with Dropbox and Documents to Go. I did Jailbreak my iPad so iFile has been quite frankly a lifesaver for me. This app will allow you to have access to the files in the root system. It sort of reminds me of Windows Explorer.....maybe that might be an option for you:)

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Common trope - "Didn't do the research!"

Agreed. I find all the arguments that any surprise to a new user being due to lack of research to be unhelpful. There has NEVER been a device that I have bought that did not come with a few surprises. It is darn near impossible to research a product to that degree.

I, also, was surprised it did not have a file system. This is a first in my experience. Every computer (including Macs), phone, and tablet that I have used to this point has a file system. I think I can forgive someone for being surprised at this. Based on the forums here, there are many.

My iPad research included many questions to salespeople and other users. All assured me that it was EASY to download files. Some even told me that you could hook up a USB cable to the iPad and drag-and-drop files.

Just curious, but WHY did you buy an iPad for your obvious serious purposes w/o first researching the limitations and advantages of the device? Just wondering, sorry

In this case, I believe ramrod25 suggested that he bought it because his aviation programs were only available in iPad versions.

ramrod25, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the aviation program in question. As far as .PDF and .JPG files, I use iTunes, filereader, and drop box to transfer files. Each method results in slight differences and limitations regarding which app can see any given file.

Files transfered are associated with specific apps. You cannot simply download a file and "open it with the appropriate app". Sharing a single file among multiple apps is a capability that iPad does not have, as best I can tell.

Having said all that, it did not take too long for me to become reasonably functional on this thing and I am sure you will be equally so. I use mine daily, accepting the limitations. But it falls a little short of, "it just works".

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
google-dr-evil.jpg

OP
R

ramrod25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All fair questions. OK I got the IPad primarily for the gps navigation programs and databases for flying in my airplane. These programs work as expected and are state of the art for navigation,weather,and a huge amount of current information pilots need. Winds aloft etc.

Then I downloaded a few movies Couple of books and hey this is ok

Then today I needed to leave on a trip and needed to take some jpgs and PDF files with me. The loud crashing sound you hear is my head hitting a brick wall.

Ok. This is what I don't understand . I finally Uploaded the files to google documents and the using the PDF reader app got them onto the iPad.

Now. Why can't I find these jpgs and PDFs and open them with Goodreader or any other program?????? They are stuck in the PDF reader app and I have no idea how to make them available to "photos" or other apps on the iPad that should be able to open them up.

Any help???????

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to understand your question. Are you saying that you moved your documents to the iPad but you can't find them? Did you move the files to your iPad using iTunes? I have GoodReader on my iPad and when I click on the ? option at the bottom it provides instructions on how to open files through the app. You can transfer files by USB, WiFi, or web download. I have done it using WiFi and by using the shared option in iTunes. You should be able to drop files in the GoodReader folder within iTunes by connecting your device to your computer. Once your device shows up in iTunes click on Apps and GoodReader or whatever app that offers sharing will show up in the list to the left....for an example you would click on GoodReader and then at the bottom you should see an add button. Clicking on this button will allow you to browse your computer for the file that you need. Once you have added the files that you need click Apply to sync and the files will be in GoodReader or the app of your choice. Photos has it's own tab in iTunes so you can click the box to Sync all Photos, albums etc or browse to the folder of your choice. I'm not sure if I was able to answer your question....I believe I'm not sure what you're asking.

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. This is what I don't understand . I finally Uploaded the files to google documents and the using the PDF reader app got them onto the iPad.

Now. Why can't I find these jpgs and PDFs and open them with Goodreader or any other program?????? They are stuck in the PDF reader app and I have no idea how to make them available to "photos" or other apps on the iPad that should be able to open them up.

Any help???????

Ok, you need to understand first that the iPad does not have a central file system that all apps can access. It makes for great security (very hard for a trojan or virus to do damage), but does require a different way of approaching file management.

You need to approach it from an app centric view. If you want something in an app you have two choices. You either transfer it directly to that app from the outside, using whatever methods are available for that app, or you get it using a general purpose app like GoodReader and use the Open In option to make a copy in the target app.

Let's take your photos as an example. You have several ways to get them into the Photos app (I'm only going to mention a few).

(1) You can place them in a folder on the computer, then using iTunes sync them as an album.

(2) You can email them to yourself, then tap and hold on the photo in Mail and Save it. This always sends it to the Photos app.

(3) You can copy it to a file management app like GoodReader using one of several methods, and then use it to copy the photo to the Photos app.

-- Using the File Sharing feature in iTunes
-- Access a web service like DropBox or other online storage
-- GoodReader can act as a web server and files can be transferred to it using a browser on the computer.

(4) You can get one of several photo transfer apps from the App Store and use it to copy photos to the photo app. I like PhotoSync.

The main thing to get from this that you just have to approach it differently than you are used to on a computer. Computers have become increasing file centric, where the file is all, and programs are just things to manipulate files with. The iPad is app centric. Files are just information that apps work with.

You can argue the virtues of each, and each does have it's own virtues, but in the end you have to deal with each device the way it is designed. Or find one designed better to your liking.

A few tips. Many apps register themselves with the iPad as being compatible with certain files. Many apps can use this to copy files from themselves to the other app. This is the Open In feature. It is usually found under the share icon which looks like a box with and arrow coming out of it. Sometimes it in a menu. You have to explore each app and see what it can do.

The iPad, and the new tablets in general, are a very new concept. The standards are still being developed and developers are all over the place with their designees. That means we have to deal with a lack of uniformity and a general lack of polish. Not all that different from the 8bit days, eh?

Last edited:
OP
R

ramrod25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you TwerpPoet - that is the most concise and cogent explanation I have read on how the IPAD and it's file and app system works.

Appreciate you taking the time.

Regards
Rodney

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Sometimes I feel like I'm coming across as a slightly irate lecture hall haunt. Good to know I'm not entirely right. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts