What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro screen shot

rozbloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, l have iso11 on my iPad Pro
With the new screen shot, if I save it to drop box, then download to my MacBook Pro and try to open in fireworks or illustrator.
An error of unknown format.
Thus I can not work on the file. I can view in preview on both iPad and MacBook.
Any ideas?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't test your problem because I'm still reluctant to install iOS 11 on my iPad Pro, but as a temporary workaround you could open and resave the image in Mac Preview. Or open in Preview and make another screenshot on your Mac.

To eliminate Drop Box as the problem, try emailing the image to yourself.

Long live Fireworks! I was an alpha tester, and wrote a tutorial chapter for Linda Rathgeber's book Playing With Fire.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For myself, when I want to transfer an image(s) from my iPad Air 2 to my Mac laptops (MBPro & MacAir), AirDrop is my choice - quick and puts the transfers in the Download folder - according to the link, requirements for your MBPro are:
  • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
By default, iOS 11 has started storing photos locally in a more efficient format. It is supposed to be smart enough to convert photos to standard jpg before exporting to a device or service that does not recognize the new format. It’s possible you’ve discovered a way to work around this.

I’d have expected DropBox to be one of the destinations to get automatically converted.

Go to Settngs > Photos and at the bottom of the page make sure you’ve turned the Transer to Mac or PC option to Automatic. This should convert the new format to jpg in most situation. If it’s set to Keep Originals this is probably the cause.

If your MacBook Pro has been updated to the newest version of macOS, it is compatible that with the new format; and iOS may not automatically convet the file when transfering directly to the computer.

I’m guessing that neither Firewors nor Illistrator have been updated for the new format.

As a work around you can ‘probably’ open the files in Preview then use the Save As or Export features to convert the photos to jpg. I’d be surpised if Apple had failed to provide for this in Preview (however, since I have not updated my Mac I can not be sure of this.)

I expect all the Mac software vendors will quickly update thier apps to support the new format. It has a lot of benefits (smaller size for same quality and a wider color gamut). In the mean time you may find yourself having to do some converting.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
By default, iOS 11 has started storing photos locally in a more efficient format. It is supposed to be smart enough to convert photos to standard jpg before exporting to a device or service that does not recognize the new format. It’s possible you’ve discovered a way to work around this.................

The other day I was reading about this new image and video file format named HEIF (High Efficiency Image File Format), which was developed by the MPEG group (same ones that brought out MP3 years ago); the format was finalized in 2015 w/ Apple announcing support recently for macOS High Sierra & iOS 11 - see quotes below for more information (view links for details). As already discussed by TP, sharing of photos, especially w/ non-Apple systems may be an initial issue - if a problem for you, one solution is to obtain the free converter program from iMazing shown below. Dave :)

High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) is a file format for individual images and image sequences. It was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and is defined by MPEG-H Part 12 (ISO/IEC 23008-12).The HEIF specification also defines the means of storing High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC)-encoded intra images and HEVC-encoded image sequences in which inter prediction is applied in a constrained manner. The requirements and main use cases of HEIF were defined in 2013. The technical development of the specification took about 1.5 years and was finalized in summer 2015. In June 2017, Apple announced support for HEIF in macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 which were released in September 2017. (Source)

In iOS 11 Apple is replacing the JPEG image format with the new HEIC alternative. So what is HEIC, what is HEIF, and how will they benefit iPhone users? With the release of iOS 11, Apple announced that it was replacing JPEG files with a new image format called HEIC. Why leave behind the industry standard of JPEGs, and what does HEIC have to offer? HEIC is the file format name Apple has chosen for the new HEIF standard. HEIF stands for High Efficiency Image Format, and, as the name suggests, is a more streamlined way to store image files. Using advanced, modern compression methods it allows digital photographs to be created in smaller files sizes, all while retaining higher image quality than its JPEG alternative. (Source)

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.45.25 PM.png

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the file format is called HEIF why is the converter for HEIC are they the same?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the file format is called HEIF why is the converter for HEIC are they the same?

Well, the second link given is suppose to explain HEIC - looking again at that article, some additional information is provided in the quote below - the format is HEIF, so maybe the 'C' means 'Container' or 'Compression', which seems the way Apple will use/store in that format. I'm assuming that the iMazing converter will handle the HEIF files in the 'container'? I've not downloaded the app to my Mac laptop nor have read about its features from the iMazing link - others may want to post their comments or better clarify the HEIC term - sorry, best that I can do at the moment. Dave :)

HEIF is based on the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Compression) or H.265 video format already used on newer iPhones. HEIC isn't actually an Apple invention at all, but was developed by the MPEG group that was also responsible for the AAC format used in iTunes. Technically, HEIC isn't really a format as such, more of a container for images and audio. The way Apple has outlines its use is to store still images encoded with the HVEC (H.265) video format.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The C stands for Codec.

The F for format would be the the description of how the file is put together.

The Codec would be the actual code that compresses and decompresses the file.

It’s not exsactly like that, but close enough.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The C stands for Codec.

The F for format would be the the description of how the file is put together.

The Codec would be the actual code that compresses and decompresses the file.

It’s not exsactly like that, but close enough.

OOPS - I was going to 'throw in' Codec, as used in Apple's iTunes audio offerings, i.e. AAC (Advanced Audio Codec or Coding) - guess that I'll have to give Tim Cook a call tonight and ask - ;) Dave

OP
R

rozbloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, thank you for the replies,
Up date, no air drop between iOS and Mac ie iPad is not seeing MacBook, but will see iPhone.
I have transfer to Mac pc on. I Carn’t Email, not set up on MacBook. (Work machine)
Thanks for your thoughts. Going to try preview.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depending on how old your MacBook is, it may not be AirDrop compatible. Most Apple computers before 2012, and a few before 2013, are not iOS to OS-X AirDrop compatible; though they will AirDrop between other Macs on the same network.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, just to take this 'HEIF - HEIC' a step further, I recently purchased the book below by Wayne Dixon (in preparation for updating my 3 Macs to 'High Sierra') - he had a concise, excellent discussion on Apple's use of the HEIF and HEVC formats (see quotes below - LINK to PDF below) - I sent him an email asking about Apple's use of HEIC - the 2 quotes are from his response to me.

As stated in the second quote beginning "HEIC actually indicates that a HEIF container utilizes the HEVC codec." My interpretation is that the 'C' in HEIC does not represent 'Codec' since HEVC is the codec being used - Wayne Dixon seems to verify this in his last statement (2nd quote in bold). BTW - the PDF link is to the Keynote presentation and is easily browsed in a short time for those interested. Hope that this adds some further clarification. Dave :)

The standard defines explicitly the file extension of a HEIF file depending on the particular codec being used to compress single images or sequences. The list of extensions can be found in the table above. iOS 11 can capture and store HEIF images using the HEVC codec. Therefore, the extension you will be encountering is .HEIC. (page from the accompanying PDF - page 35 - is the table referenced - 2nd pic below).

HEIC actually indicates that a HEIF container utilizes the HEVC codec. Where as a file with HEIF extension indicates that it could be using any codec, which in theory, could still be HEVC, but most likely will not be. So, in reality, it is actually a way to differentiate what information is contained within the file and explicitly indicates that the HEIF image is using HEVC as its compression option. It is really just a way for developers, including Apple, to be able to more easily differentiate codecs and helps assist in how best to interpret the image. Ultimately, the “C” does not really stand for anything, but it is just a way to differentiate files.
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 10.51.55 AM.png
513_high_efficiency_image_file_format.jpg

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My brother has a problem with this new photo format as well. His problem is that he has an iPhone 7 with iOS 11 and an iPad which is too old for the update.
Any photos taken with the iPhone, when appearing on the iPad have a ‘greyed out’ thumbnail.
The photo is visible when it’s selected, but it makes searching for a photo by thumbnail virtually impossible.

Most reactions

Latest posts