What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro Multitouch screen glitch - blank area in drawing apps

OP
I

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So today I got a callback from the senior advisor, whom I talked to two days ago. He asked me to be patient for a bit longer as the programmers address the issue. They believe, it will be fixed with a software update. So he asked me to wait for this next update. I am curious about it! ;) I hope, this will be the final solution, as I am not willing to send my iPad Pro in again. :p

OP
I

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, with the Pencil it is no problem, I admit. But I like to have all options handy, so if I am feeling to use my eBrush or a Wacom stylus for drawing, I want to be able to use it without problems. :) I hope, this will be possible to fix by software update.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is why I specified 'for me'. I know others may have uses that don't match mine. Also, since you said you could duplicate the problem if you touched lightly with your fingers, people with small fingers (children?) might have issues as well.

So it is good that Apple is working on a fix, and that they believe it can be fixesd in software, even if I'm not inconvinienced. :)

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the last five years, using various apps, I have created close to 1000 PDFs that use hand-writing and hand-drawn diagrams. These were all done using the oft-derided so-called cheap styluses with bulbous flexible tips. I practised and became proficient in their use.

Last week I bought a 12-inch iPad Pro, the third iPad I have bought since 2010. I have just become aware of this appalling non-responsive area next to the middle of the right edge of the screen (portrait mode).

I do all my writing at the bottom of the screen (landscape mode) so that my wrist can be supported by the bezel. To avoid the non-responsive patch I now have to turn the device upside-down. This makes it difficult to access the volume controls (something I'm coming to realise I do frequently), but much more inconveniently, I can no longer access the AV port in the wall of the classroom I teach in without purchasing some sort of extension lead and having the wire snaking all over the place waiting for people to trip over it or walk all over it.

Apparently this problem doesn't exist for users of the Apple Pencil. For a number of reasons, I don't want that thing. Nor do I need it, or so I thought. I spent AUS$1500 for this device, it should work properly.

I am on iOS 9.2, my device is wifi-only. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved in 9.3? Does anyone know if the iPad Pro 9 incher is similarly flawed?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm on iOS 9.3.1. Still there, though it seems to be a bit less sensitve. I still can't make it happen with my finger like iheartapple could, but my smaller stylus shows it if I press lightly. Pressing firmly looks more like uisng my finger.

Here's my previous test
image.png

Test with by big fat finger.
image.png

Test while pressing lightly with a cheap targus stylus
image.png

All tests using the Notes app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, while it does not excuse the issue, I've got to say that no matter how good you are with a stylus, or how much you think it does not matter, you really should try the Pencil if you get a chance. Night and day.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh I'll try it alright, but I ain't buyin' it. Not until this issue is resolved. So it's still there in iOS 9.3.1? Won't be upgrading to that either.

I am disappointed. Crestfallen, even. I can feel the smirks of derision from my Surface Pro buddies already.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why not upgrage?

It may not fix the stylus issue but it does add some other useful features. It also has security udates, closing known bugs and exploits.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was all set to upgrade this morning, and then I went to the Apple support site to report this problem. I saw too many posts talking about 9.3 hassles and I lost my nerve. ;)

Some of the older iPad's had iOS 9.3 issues. The download has been replaced for those devices. The Pro didn't have any issues, at least none that I've heard of.

You will probably go through two downloads and updates to get current. A large one for iOS 9.3, and then a small one for iOS 9.3.1; which fixed the Universal Link issue that some people saw. In both cases the OTA update seems to be working fine, so no need to resort to iTunes and a computer.

No rush, but no reason to be shy of it either.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You know TP, I'm gonna head into the Apple store and check out a Pro 9-incher (can't think of a better name!). If it doesn't have the dead patch issue I may try an exchange...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You know TP, I'm gonna head into the Apple store and check out a Pro 9-incher (can't think of a better name!). If it doesn't have the dead patch issue I may try an exchange...

It's worth thinking about. If both sizes had been available to begin with I'd have probalby gotten the 9.7 inch modle for the extra portabilty, but now that I'm used to the 12 inch iPad Pro and using it as my primary computer I'd hate to give up that extra screen.

In some ways the smaller iPad Pro is more advanced. It has True Tone (changes color temprature to match the enviroment) and a much better camera. However, you're also giving up 2 GB of RAM and a slightly faster GPU when downsizing.

I look forward to your thoughts and decision after you check out the smaller Pro.

OP
I

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@chowdown: Just updated to 9.3.1. Still the same. I find it quite interesting, that you have the issue with a wifi-only IPP. As you may have read, I tried several demo objects in several shops here in Germany, and apparently only the wifi+cellular models had the problem. All the wifi-only models worked quite fine. I brought my own Wacom Bamboo stylus with me every time I tried one of the demos… As twerppoet suggested: You should consider an Apple Pencil, it is really quite a difference. BUT I understand you fully, I am quite angry as well, as I expect for a device of this price tag to work flawlessly, regardless of the preferred use of the owner. It is my free will to use a passive stylus, my finger or what else. As I actually love the Pencil, I tend to accept the status-quo. Frankly, I did not believe that this was/is a software issue, being solved by an update, as the senior advisor told me. Until now, I am right. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 298

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll play a little devils advocate here by saying that it's possible that Apple doesn't consider this to be a bug in the regular sense as the screen works perfectly with the only stylus Apple has so far developed and sold, the Apple Pencil.

Most reactions

Latest posts