What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro Installing at Glacial Speed

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried abandoning this restore then try starting over from scratch? The slow speed is unlikely to be the result of a problem with the Apple servers.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried abandoning this restore then try starting over from scratch? The slow speed is unlikely to be the result of a problem with the Apple servers.
Aborting installation seemed complicated and I was making (SLOW) progress after turning off ad blocker app. I did finally receive an Alert from the install program that it had given up and I was to manually update. The App Store started working. The iPad Pro is now syncing with iTunes, albeit VERY SLOWLY. Apple should be embarrassed. EDIT: Yes, I think the iPad Pro Installation software is entirely to blame for the mess.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aborting installation seemed complicated and I was making (SLOW) progress after turning off ad blocker app. I did finally receive an Alert from the install program that it had given up and I was to manually update. The App Store started working. The iPad Pro is now syncing with iTunes, albeit VERY SLOWLY. Apple should be embarrassed. EDIT: Yes, I think the iPad Pro Installation software is entirely to blame for the mess.
If that were the case then everybody would have the same problems as you're having. I have a slow internet service but I've never had an installation take anywhere near as long as yours seems to be taking.
BTW, have you tried resetting your router?

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update 8/22/17 Day 4:
Well, iTunes (desktop) threw an error, said the iPad Pro had problems and it proceeded to "fix" them by downloading yet another copy of 10.3.3 and then had another error for unknown reasons. It seems iTunes doesn't get on well with the Install program (still executing).

I fired iTunes, found the Pro still on v10.3.2 and the pending updates set by the Install program still pending. Clearly, the Install program had not given up and was still slogging along glacially. I just let it continue for the rest of the day.

Update 8/23 Day 5:
The iPad Pro installation competed properly last night about 9 PM. Everything seemed to work OK. What an ordeal !

Post Mortem: IMHO, the ad blocker's restoration in the ON state caused the biggest stall because after I turned it OFF, waiting Apps began to load again.

In any case, a multi-day install is just not acceptable. Apple owes its customer base a major Improvement on its iPad Pro Installation program's user interface to make it more predictive and communicative. A progress meter and stall detector are mandatory ASAP.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple does have a progress meter to tell you the remaining time for the download to complete. This is an old screenshot but the progress bar is still the same with the latest iOS updates.
IMG_3419.PNG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, there was no progress meter in the iPad Pro Install program.
In that case there was a problem with the installation and there's a good chance that the installation could be corrupted. If everything doesn't work properly, you should be prepared to restore the iPad and start over.
Every iOS update I've done on my iPad Pro has had the progress bar with the timer showing the time remaining.

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scifan,
You are talking about iOS Updates and I am talking about the "Installation" program behavior for a new iPad Pro. They may be different. AFAIK, my Pro did the entire install on IOS 10.3.2 and had no progress bars at any time of the four grinding days that elapsed until the Cloud restore finished. After the Install completed, it immediately updated IOS to 10.3.3. I did not watch this update, so there might have been progress bars during the update, too late to be of any use, IMHO.

In any case, there are several problems that are troubling on the Pro.
1. The App Store / Purchased listing shows that many Apps were not installed. No surprise there because some may be having difficulty with 64 bits or new features. However, when I try to manually download some of these from cloud, the App Store displays the downloading circle forever, while the App Store becomes unresponsive until I force a reset on the Pro. Clearly, the Store should display an error message and terminate quickly instead. It should also visually differentiate Apps that had been voluntarily deleted vs those that were not compatible with 64bits, etc.

2. I am wondering why Apple did not offer a software Pro emulation package for those Apps that were not quite ready for Pro prime time. E.g., Khan Academy is not Pro-ready, which will disadvantage students this fall.
EDIT: Correction: Khan Academy IS Pro-Ready but only if you install it directly from the App Store. (If you try to recover from Cloud, the App Store hangs...). When you log on to the Khan App, it remembers you.

To be continued...

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
32 bit apps can still be downloaded to and used on an iOS device running iOS 10. This will change with iOS 11 next month.
Apple has never had any sort of emulator built into any iOS device that would let you test the compatibility of apps.
A rough idea of which apps are 64 bit is to look at the date of the latest update. If it’s anytime in the last year or so, it’s 64 bit compatible as Apple has not allowed any 32 bit app updates for over a year.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
An iCloud restore happens in two phases. The first restores the data and settings from the backup file stored in iCloud. The second downloads the apps from the App Store. The first phase has a progress bar. The second phase is only indicated by the grayed out app icons, and their dowload progress (usually indicated by a progress circle being filled, or paused/waiting text).

The iPad is completley usable during the second phase (with the excpetion of the apps that haven't been downloaded yet). Depending on the internet connection, how busy the app store is, and other obscure factors like firewall settings the downlods can be slow, or even stalled. Restaring the iPad, especially on a faster network connection, often fixes this.

Once I restarted on three seperate days before a device was fully restored. Fortunately most of my important apps were restored first. My experience is that apps on the first home page get priority, and since my most used apps are almost always on the first page. . .

Note, this only happend to me once. I've restored several devices from an iCloud backup, and in all other cases the process was over in a couple of hours, at most.

While the above does not fix anything, or offer any advice not already give, I hope it helps clear up some of the miscommunication that is going on in the thread. You're talking about one process, but two different phases of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts