iPad Pro Installing at Glacial Speed

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by jchunter, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, the installation is "stuck" aIlright. There has not been a scintilla of change in the last 12 hours in spite of resetting. This may well take weeks to finish. IMHO, the installation code is poorly designed, mute, with no progress meters or alerts that things are not going well. There could be a massive queueing bottleneck at the App Store. Not a good situation for Apple as it heads into the prime holiday sales season...

#11 jchunter, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try restarting your iPad?

3. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Held power button for about 5 seconds, power off.

4. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I checked my desktop computer iTunes and found a fairly complete list of the Apps on my iPad3. (I hadn't used iTunes for a looong time.) So, how to get iPad Pro authorized so I can sync them. (assuming this sync would be compatible with the install, which is evidently still running??)

5. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Day four of new iPad Pro install: Last night I noticed that one of the successfully transferred Apps was an ad blocker ("WebBlock"). I opened it, found it was in the ON state, turn it OFF and noticed one of the folders seemed to be loading. AN hour later, I checked again and found four folders seemed to be loading. This morning they seemed to be still loading.
    Frankly, Apple must be transferring data at less than a pitiful 10 bytes per second . Install process still completely mute and App Store still locked in a "loading" state.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried abandoning this restore then try starting over from scratch? The slow speed is unlikely to be the result of a problem with the Apple servers.

7. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Aborting installation seemed complicated and I was making (SLOW) progress after turning off ad blocker app. I did finally receive an Alert from the install program that it had given up and I was to manually update. The App Store started working. The iPad Pro is now syncing with iTunes, albeit VERY SLOWLY. Apple should be embarrassed. EDIT: Yes, I think the iPad Pro Installation software is entirely to blame for the mess.

#17 jchunter, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If that were the case then everybody would have the same problems as you're having. I have a slow internet service but I've never had an installation take anywhere near as long as yours seems to be taking.
    BTW, have you tried resetting your router?

#18 scifan57, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. jchunter

jchunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Update 8/22/17 Day 4:
    Well, iTunes (desktop) threw an error, said the iPad Pro had problems and it proceeded to "fix" them by downloading yet another copy of 10.3.3 and then had another error for unknown reasons. It seems iTunes doesn't get on well with the Install program (still executing).

I fired iTunes, found the Pro still on v10.3.2 and the pending updates set by the Install program still pending. Clearly, the Install program had not given up and was still slogging along glacially. I just let it continue for the rest of the day.

Update 8/23 Day 5:
    The iPad Pro installation competed properly last night about 9 PM. Everything seemed to work OK. What an ordeal !

Post Mortem: IMHO, the ad blocker's restoration in the ON state caused the biggest stall because after I turned it OFF, waiting Apps began to load again.

In any case, a multi-day install is just not acceptable. Apple owes its customer base a major Improvement on its iPad Pro Installation program's user interface to make it more predictive and communicative. A progress meter and stall detector are mandatory ASAP.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple does have a progress meter to tell you the remaining time for the download to complete. This is an old screenshot but the progress bar is still the same with the latest iOS updates.
    IMG_3419.PNG