What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro Installing at Glacial Speed

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installing new iPad pro not complete after 24 hours. Some Apps have been copied from iPad3 but many more more have not and are labeled as "waiting" on the Pro screen. One, labeled as "loading" has been at it for 10 hours, with no end in sight. No indication of any data transfer taking place. How do I kick start this operation or determine its current state. BTW, Apps that have been transferred operate properly. The Pro is connected to power supply and wirelessly to wifi.

EDIT: Correction - The App Store displays only the word "loading".

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you restoring your iPad Pro from an iCloud backup? Have you checked the strength of your internet connection? A weak connection can increase restore times dramatically.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, restoring from iCloud. Internet was fine last night (~8). Today slower at 5 - 6 Mbps.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I hope that the fact that the App Store app seems to be busy, indicates that apps that have not been used in a long time might be getting pulled directly from the App Store list of owned Apps. Is this possible?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Restoring from an iCloud backup can last longer than a day, depending on your internet connection, and the size of the backup. Some time ago, when I set up a new device from an iCloud backup, the complete process took two or three days.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I hope that the fact that the App Store app seems to be busy, indicates that apps that have not been used in a long time might be getting pulled directly from the App Store list of owned Apps. Is this possible?
An iCloud backup does not contain the apps that are on your device. there's just the app data and a record of which apps they are and their location on the home screen. The apps themselves are downloaded from the app store as part of the restore.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restoring from an iCloud backup can last longer than a day, depending on your internet connection, and the size of the backup. Some time ago, when I set up a new device from an iCloud backup, the complete process took two or three days.
What ever happened to the good old days of "blinding electronic speeds" ?? :):(

EDIT: Looking at my iPad3, the total cloud storage is 5 GB with 3 GB available, leaving 2 GB as the total volume. Even the venerable Apple 2 might have been able to move 2 GB in 24 hours... :):):)

Seriously, how much space is really being used for a backup? Are these cumulative over time?

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For me, the app store has been slow to non-responsive more often than not for the last month or so. This is just for the usual app updates that appear every day or two, not restoring from a backup. Sometimes the "available" updates will be installed by the next morning, other times there are more waiting than when I went to bed the night before. Nothing has changed, and other Internet services are fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps in the process of being restored will occationally get stuck. Just restart the iPad and they should start downloading again. When the iPad is activly restoring apps you should see progress on one to three apps at a time.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the installation is "stuck" aIlright. There has not been a scintilla of change in the last 12 hours in spite of resetting. This may well take weeks to finish. IMHO, the installation code is poorly designed, mute, with no progress meters or alerts that things are not going well. There could be a massive queueing bottleneck at the App Store. Not a good situation for Apple as it heads into the prime holiday sales season...

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a recent iTunes backup you could try instead?
I checked my desktop computer iTunes and found a fairly complete list of the Apps on my iPad3. (I hadn't used iTunes for a looong time.) So, how to get iPad Pro authorized so I can sync them. (assuming this sync would be compatible with the install, which is evidently still running??)

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Day four of new iPad Pro install: Last night I noticed that one of the successfully transferred Apps was an ad blocker ("WebBlock"). I opened it, found it was in the ON state, turn it OFF and noticed one of the folders seemed to be loading. AN hour later, I checked again and found four folders seemed to be loading. This morning they seemed to be still loading.
Frankly, Apple must be transferring data at less than a pitiful 10 bytes per second . Install process still completely mute and App Store still locked in a "loading" state.

Most reactions

Latest posts