iPad Pro has lost its brains (?)

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Padcatt, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Padcatt

Padcatt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My battery was low (red bar) the other day, so I powered it down and plugged it into the charger overnight. Battery is now at 100%

The iPad seems to have forgotten that it has the passwords to this and other sites. Normal and correct behavior is to prompt me to do Touch ID, not to present me with a log-in field. System Prefs>passwords proves that the internal memory does contain the password information.

Also, typing has been ridiculously slow on some forums..type a few words, see them appear 30 seconds later.

What can explain these wrongnesses? iPad has otherwise performed the way you’d expect it to.

Thanks!

2. JezzerP

JezzerP
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have experienced something similar with slow typing, but to be honest I don't recall doing anything 'special' to fix it. Reboots and maybe an iOS update or two has seen the back of it....are you running the latest version of iOS?

3. Padcatt

Padcatt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This concerns me, and it feels related to the iPad’s other “memory” fails, especially suddenly asking for iTunes credentials to launch software that’s already been paid for!!

Maybe I don’t get the wonders of the great and glorious future, but in my teensie brain, once you’ve paid for software, you’re golden, and the device on which the said paid-for software resides on should remember that. Forever.

Makes me concerned that Apple is going to pull an Amazon and rescind licenses, demanding more payment for things paid-for. (remember a few years back when Kindle owners suddenly found books they’d bought removed by Amazon)..meaning essentially that it isn’t actually your iPad. It’s apple’s and you pay for the privelege of using it, as long as they allow you to.

The most powerful OS, the bestest, the mostest, what makes you powerwful, blah blah..these ideas are inconsistent with a very expensive device that can’t remember what’s what.

</rant>

Except that to say, that if the power goes out and you simply *can’t* hook up to the iTunes store - even after obediently giving your credentials - again - you’ve got yourself a $1000 paperweight!

#3 Padcatt, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After an iOS device capable of Touch ID is powered off and turned back on or restarted you have to enter your password to reactivate Touch ID.

Exactly what software were you trying to launch when prompted to enter your Apple ID password?

5. Padcatt

Padcatt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    there are times when I will tap to launch an app and I am told that I must enter my iTunes credentials.

Sometimes this happens after an iOS update, but sometimes it happens for no apparent reason.

It feels chilling because these are apps that are bought and paid for, or which came with the iPad...suddenly they’re not available to me.