What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad pro drawing apps

woldhek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the demo a smooth, curving, expanding and contracting line is drawn. In which app was this done? I tried Procreate, AutoDesk Sketchbook, AutoDesk Sketchbook X, Paper, Adobe Draw, Adobe Sketch, ArtSet and INKredible, but couldn't get such a line. Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app that shows this in the Jony Ive narrated demo appear to be Procreate.

iPad Pro - Apple Pencil - Apple

Hold in mind that different pen tools will respond differently to pressure and or tilt.

I can't confirm this (since I'm still waiting for both my iPad Pro and a Pencil), but I suspect the pencil tools will respond with darker lines for presure, and shading width for tilt. A marker or paint tool would be more likely to respond with width for pressure.

All I can recommend is that you experiment a bit with the different tools; and make sure you Apple Pencil is paired. There might be some settings in the Procreate app as well. Worth exploring.

Note: I don't have Procreate either. I paused the video and studied the bits of UI I could see, then went to the App Store and compared them with screen shots from Procreate and a few other drawing apps.

OP
woldhek

woldhek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. The lines that i can make with Procreate certainly come closest to the demo, but i haven't been able yet to tweak the various tools such that one gets a razor-thin crisp line that can widen gradually with pressure as well as increase shade width with tilt. I'll keep trying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've probably already discovered this, but: just in case:

I was playing around with Procreate today, trying to learn a bit more before my Pencil arrives. I discoverd that if you select a pen tool, then tap on it again to get the parameters, there is an icon/setting at the bottom that is specifically for the Pencil. There you can change any pen's tilt and pressure properties for various levels of opacity and size.

If you haven't found the perfecgt pen yet, this is probably how to go about tweaking on to do what you want. If I remember right, a pen will keep your custom settins so long as you don't reset it.

Kip Carter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been shopping for a drawing app that leverages the capability of the pencil as well because most do not as of now. They take their pen width direction from a menu like standard old school tools did. I did run across an adobe mini app this week that did adjust to the pressure nicely but it was fare from a full blown draw program. Still looking!

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The drawing app that best leverages the pencil, by far, is ProCreate. I purchased/installed all of the apps I could find and some are okay, but the one most optimized for the Pro and the Pencil is ProCreate. Sketchbook Pro is pretty good but there are some interface issues that could be better and it's not that well adapted to all the features of the Pencil. Adobe Sketch is okay, but Procreate is still the strongest one I've found. If they would add layer grouping and masking, it would be almost perfect because it already has layer blending modes and alpha lock. The different kinds of brushes with all their adjustable attributes are pretty powerful. Still learning about it though.

Here's a piece I finished tonight.
Revised-Turtle.jpg

Kip Carter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vincent,
I don't have the skill set you do nor the in depth analysis as of yet but my experience with it echoes yours as well. I will say that my one disappointment is that I do not see the utilization of the pencils ability to control intensity and width with pressure and angle as Apple has so avidly demonstrated time and time again. (Roaring whisper) Hopefully Autodesk with add this enhancement in a future release of this software SOON!

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vincent,
I don't have the skill set you do nor the in depth analysis as of yet but my experience with it echoes yours as well. I will say that my one disappointment is that I do not see the utilization of the pencils ability to control intensity and width with pressure and angle as Apple has so avidly demonstrated time and time again. (Roaring whisper) Hopefully Autodesk with add this enhancement in a future release of this software SOON!

Thanks Kip. If you're talking about ProCreate, it does utilize the tilting, pressure and side shading very well with the Pencil. If you're talking about Sketchbook then it's kind of a mixed bag. I'll be honest though, once I got up and going comfortably on ProCreate, I haven't fooled much with Sketchbook. Another decent one is Pixelmator but it's got a lot of shortcomings. It's a decent start but they have a lot of bugs to work out.

An app I've just recently found for Vector and layout is Graphic. It looks like a good iOS "Illustrator" analog. It gets great reviews. I haven't done much with it yet though.

Kip Carter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kip. If you're talking about ProCreate, it does utilize the tilting, pressure and side shading very well with the Pencil. If you're talking about Sketchbook then it's kind of a mixed bag.
I was talking about Sketchbook as I've not even seen ProCreate as of yet (I guess I'd better look!!) but if it take advantage of the pencil it might be more to my liking. After all that was the sizzle that I bought the pencil for in the first place, there are lots of other stylist out there.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ProCreate is far and away the best for use with the Pencil. For the iPad Pro and Pencil, I can't recommend anything as highly as I do ProCreate.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
+1 for Procreate here. I've been trying numerous apps and always go back to Procreate. I haven't tried ArtRage on my Ipad Pro yet, but I love it with my Wacom intous and Mac. I like SketchClub and just paid for ArtStudio. Not sure on that one yet.

I use to love Sketbook Pro and have the free version for my IPP, but on my Galaxy Note 10.1 it was paid for already. So I used that the most. Now with the way they want you to subscribe for a year or monthly, too expensive for my taste now. At least Procreate is under 6 dollars and does all I ever would want it to do. Totally worth it. There's a reason it gets such good reviews. Takes awhile to learn how to do everything, but I just downloaded the Manual to IBooks and have it right there when I need how to do something.

Most reactions

Latest posts