What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Pro 1st Gen

Markphoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought iPad Pro 12.9 through 3rd party and is wifi & cellular and states it is for AT&T. I have heard that all iPads are unlocked and can be used with any carrier. Can anyone verify this.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This may not be of interest to you but since you have a different carrier you may want to check with AT&T to see how much it is on a monthly basis just to have the iPad with a data plan? If they have good coverage and it ends up being just $15 a month that might not be a bad option.

But I'm not sure so this is just an idea.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought iPad Pro 12.9 through 3rd party and is wifi & cellular and states it is for AT&T. I have heard that all iPads are unlocked and can be used with any carrier. Can anyone verify this.
If the iPad comes with the pre-installed Apple SIM card, AT&T will lock it to AT&T, but swapping out the SIM card should be all you need to do to use the iPad with another carrier.
This describes iPad models with an embedded Apple SIM card and a Nano SIM card holder. Even if the embedded Apple SIM card is locked to AT&T, you should be able to use another carrier’s SIM card in the Nano SIM card holder. Use Apple SIM with Wi-Fi + Cellular models of iPad

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly what I learned. Other devices are all Verizon but I bought mine with Apple SIM card and chose the very inexpensive ($10/5GB for 5 mos.) TMobile which was one of the carriers offered directly on the Ipad. I considered adding it to my Verizon data account but I would have paid this much each month just to add it. I would also have had to get a Verizon SIM card --when you buy a used you just have to get it unlocked by the carrier. I have only had one instance where T Mobile didn't cover mine--Florida eastern panhandle but I just used the hotspot on my phone for wifi.

Most reactions