What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen screen bleeding

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought it August 2017, and I started noticing a slight screen bleeding in two areas along the edge of the screen (like the screen backlight is more intense there and not uniform as it was initially). Other than that the Ipad is working fine. Does this merit a warranty replacement of the Ipad, a warranty repair or none (Apple might claim it's within their standards?). Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Best to ask Apple, or better yet take it into an Apple Store and have it looked at. They’ve been pretty accomodating about screen problems in the past, but you won’t know for sure until you ask.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope they decide to replace it instead of repairing it as I don't have time to wait for a repair.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my experience, if they can’t repair it in-store in a couple hours and they have your model in stock, a replacement is common. So your chances are not zero.

Good luck.

Note: That’s their backroom repair-replace stock, not shelf stock.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you back up your iPad before going to the Apple Store in case you get a replacement iPad. You could then set up the replacement iPad from the backup you made.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That’s their backroom repair-replace stock, not shelf stock.
So in case they decide to replace it, you mean they won't replace it with a brand new (unopened box) Ipad? You seem to convey that they have a "shelf stock" for customer purchases and a "replacement stock" for warranty issues?

Make sure you back up your iPad before going to the Apple Store in case you get a replacement iPad. You could then set up the replacement iPad from the backup you made.
Thanks Scifan, yes, I regularly backup my Ipad. Unfortunately I will only be able to restore it when traveling back home as the backup size exceeds the iCloud quota.
UPDATE: I can upload the backup file to Google Drive, can I restore the new Ipad from Google Drive, or it's only restricted to iCloud?

Also, is it advisable to schedule a support appointment?

Finally, what's the safest way of erasing all my Ipad's files and unlink it from my Apple account?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So in case they decide to replace it, you mean they won't replace it with a brand new (unopened box) Ipad? You seem to convey that they have a "shelf stock" for customer purchases and a "replacement stock" for warranty issues?

I don’t know for sure how it works in the back room, but from what I’ve read, it works this way. Apple Stores keep a certain number of devices in stock for repair/replacement. These devices may or may not be refurbished. The primary difference is the packaging which is not designed for the shelf or direct sales. I’m guessing the packaging and bulk shipping saves some money.

Note: Apple refurbished iPads are practically new. They always have new batteries, blemish free screens and cases, and are tested for reliablitly. They also carry the full warantee, just as if they were new (not sure how that works for replacements). While not new, they are are almost certainly a step up from a repair.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In answer to your other questions:

You can not save your backup to Google Drive. iCloud and iTunes on a computer are the only backup/restore methods.

However, if the Apple Store replaces your iPad they will walk you through erasing the old one and restoring to the new one right in the store. I’m not sure how they will deal with your lack of iCloud space, but I’m sure they have a method.

But, it might cost you an extra hour or so in the store, a very dangerous situation for your wallet.

A backup to your computer is still a good idea.

Or, you could pay for more iCloud storage, do a backup, then cancel it (if you want too) after the restore. I believe 50 GB is still 99 cents a month.

Last edited:

dss862

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What cause backlight bleeding after 1 year of use ..never been drop, no pressure applied on my ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen ipad.....i have 3 samsung high end model with superamoled screen tablets been using this for 3 years in a row never have this problem... apple tried to fooled us after we spent a lot of money on this ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What cause backlight bleeding after 1 year of use ..never been drop, no pressure applied on my ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen ipad.....i have 3 samsung high end model with superamoled screen tablets been using this for 3 years in a row never have this problem... apple tried to fooled us after we spent a lot of money on this ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen..
iPads use backlit LCD screens. Superamoled screens use LEDs which don't need a backlight, hence no bleeding. The bleeding could be caused by the sealing around the edge of the screen not stopping light leaks in the units that exhibit bleeding.

Last edited:

dss862

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so ipad pro 12.9 2018 3rd gen is better than ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen...coz ipad pro 12.9 2018 use led screen which bypass backlight bleeding like samsung amoled screen while the 2nd gen uses LCD which is backlight bleeding prone..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only some of the iPhones have gone to the OLED screens. All iPads are still LCD screens.

Small ammounts backlight bleed is normal when the brightness is tuned all the way up. Distracting amounts are not normal. Usually it is a defect that shows when the iPad is new, and should be delt with under warrenty. Rarely it can develop later, when screen components get jarred out of alignment.

dss862

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is advisable to buy ipad pro 12.9 inches 2018 3rd gen will this unit end the problem of backlight bleeding after 1 year of use?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had the first 12.9” iPad Pro for two years, and never had significant bleeding. I now have the newest model and no problem to date.

Can I guarentee you the same? No I can’t. No matter how good the manufacture is, there are always some bad units, and for some reason a few people seem to get them all.

While the new Pro has a different design and screen, it is still LCD. It still has a backlight.

All I can suggest is to get Applecare or some other insurance/warrantee extention.

dss862

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got my new ipad pro 12.9 2018 from amazon ... unfortunately another probl;em arises from apple --intermittent touchscreen sensitivity ... from what i have read from other forums they have the same issue with ipad pro 2018 12.9... what's the best things to do now... it's the apple fault.. after spending $1200 for this unit... file a complaint against apple ?since this is designed flaw

Most reactions

Latest posts