What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro 11" Display Issue & Apple's Response - FYI

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since 2011, Susan & I have had 3 iPads each (all hers were/are Minis) - my current iPad Pro (11" late 2018 model) was purchased in December, 18 months ago w/ AppleCare+ (good until Dec 22, 2020) - had been working perfectly until this morning when I noticed a 'yellow spot' along the right edge (see pics below) - did a reset x 2, rotated the device w/ spot staying in same place, & changed the wallpaper; also took a screen capture and the spot was NOT on the image.

Assume this was a hardware/display issue and initiated an Apple Chat - a 'diagnostics' was done on the device which showed no problems - a number of options were given me (but I did not want to visit an Apple store w/ COVID, being elderly and w/ some underlying medical issues) - what I chose since AppleCare+ was still good was a 'mail option' - a 'new' iPad Pro will be sent to me as a free exchange - I will set it up w/ a backup, then erase, etc. my old Pro and return to Apple (in their box and free UPS return label) - they do a 'hold' on a credit card until they receive the old one.

Bottom line - things can go wrong overnight! :( I've bought AppleCare+ on all of our Apple products and will continue to do so. Dave
YellowPro1.png
YellowPro2.JPG
YellowPro3.PNG

Last edited:

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Things can certainly go wrong and you are wise to have applecare.
I'm glad they're going to take care of it for you.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the comments! For those fairly new to Apple products, whether iDevices or Macs, purchasing AppleCare is always a dilemma - for an iPad, is the one-year warranty adequate or should one tack on an additional year? Well, like any 'insurance policy', who knows what the future will bring? Plus, Apple makes good reliable products - right!

But for those making these decisions, take a look at Apple's Repair Policies - below is from the link showing the iPad Pro 'Out-of-Warranty' vs. 'Apple-Care+' - in the blue box is my iPad Pro which would have cost me $500 w/ the one-year warranty only - guess that I won on that one (BUT, I have lost on many other AppleCare policies).

My other positive experiences w/ AppleCare (AC) were on my early 2013 MBook Pro - the battery was dying prematurely, replaced for free under AC; also the MagSafe cable began to fray terribly w/i 2 years of purchase - the cable w/ charger were replaced free - I guess adding all up, I'm probably about even or out just a few hundred bucks. Just my 2 cents worth for those interested. :) Dave
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.44.31 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only Apple devices I don’t get insurance for are my AirPods and AppleWatch. Mostly I get Apple Care, though I have gone with Verizon’s insurance once or twice. There are a few tradeoffs between the two.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
UPDATE!

The new iPad Pro arrived in the late afternoon yesterday, i.e. overnight, after my Apple chat - restored OTA from a 'just done' iCloud BU - had to do a 13.5.1 update so took a little longer - restoring apps always takes a while, but the new device 'came back' fine (only issue was my music which I handle manually via iTunes, so spent a half hour reloading my desired playlists - actually allowed me to streamline the number).

Did the usual steps to 'sign out' my old iPad Pro followed by an erase - just dropped off at Fed Ex for return - basically a 2-day process - not bad! This was my third Apple Chat - all your courteous, well organized, timely, and with satisfactory conclusions - kudos to Apple. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New UPDATE - July 2021

Well, after 1 year w/ my replaced iPad Pro, yet another 'yellow spot' has appeared on the screen in the same place and looking identical (review pics at the start of this thread) - did the same maneuvers w/o an effect; a screen capture sent to may laptop shows no spot (not sure what that means?). Unfortunately, my AppleCare+ expired in December 2020, so Apple's charge is presumably the same or similar to that shown in the table, i.e. $500. Googling shows many complaining of 'yellow spots' on their iPad displays but w/o much explanation. I don't plan to repair this iPad at the cost suggested - may contact Apple but not sure would be of much help (however, will not hurt!); otherwise will live w/ the situation and likely replace the device in the near future - any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks - Dave :)
YellowSpot.PNG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Screen defects will never show on a screenshot as the screenshot is based on the data sent to the screen and not the actual image on the screen.

Well, my feelings also - happened the same on my first iPad discussed above - makes sense. Thanks. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts