What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad printing

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Giradman
Would you know if finger print is free to use or do you have to buy it?
Thank you

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Giradman
Would you know if finger print is free to use or do you have to buy it?
Thank you

Kevin - I already assumed that your 'bought' the program, hence my rather detailed directions to try to get the program working w/ your printer - I'm confused - :rolleyes:

Your need to purchase the program to use it - bottom line - :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
EG1 said:
if you use print n share you dont have to go via your commputer and it goes direct
using it on my ipad

Print N Share seems to be made by the same company as Print Central, with the same price points. My question is, what is the difference? They both claim to print to any printer on the same network, whether wifi, USB, cable, etc.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FingerPrint runs on your PC and "shares" you printer with WiFi devices. iPad sees your printer, delivers the job to the PC, which in turn prints to the local printers. So, your PC needs to be on and FingerPrint running in order to print from your iPad. The suggested donation fee for the original FingerPrint was $9.99. FingerPrint 2 is the current release for $19.99. It is still very easy to setup and works with all the printers connected to your PC. So, if you have a network and multiple printers, then any of those printers can be also available to your iPad or other iOS device. So I can print from my iPhone or my iPad.

Works like AirPrint, so applications on your iOS device like email, photos have a print option. When you select print, a dialog pops up with a list of printers. AirPrint printers show up as do <printers> via "FingerPrint @ <computer name>". Select the printer, basic print options (copy, or duplex) and hit the Print button. That's it. You can try FingerPrint for free, but it will print a banner all over the printout saying it is not licenced yet. But, at least you will know before you pay if it works in your setup. No iOS app is necessary, just the PC FingerPrint software.

craigspofford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
digitalbits6 said:
FingerPrint runs on your PC and "shares" you printer with WiFi devices. iPad sees your printer, delivers the job to the PC, which in turn prints to the local printers. So, your PC needs to be on and FingerPrint running in order to print from your iPad. The suggested donation fee for the original FingerPrint was $9.99. FingerPrint 2 is the current release for $19.99. It is still very easy to setup and works with all the printers connected to your PC. So, if you have a network and multiple printers, then any of those printers can be also available to your iPad or other iOS device. So I can print from my iPhone or my iPad.

Works like AirPrint, so applications on your iOS device like email, photos have a print option. When you select print, a dialog pops up with a list of printers. AirPrint printers show up as do <printers> via "FingerPrint @ <computer name>". Select the printer, basic print options (copy, or duplex) and hit the Print button. That's it. You can try FingerPrint for free, but it will print a banner all over the printout saying it is not licenced yet. But, at least you will know before you pay if it works in your setup. No iOS app is necessary, just the PC FingerPrint software.

Question I have is this about fingerprint or any other printing option: does it allow me to put it on any desktop on my network? My primary computer is a laptop which is often with me or asleep when I want to print from my iPad or iPhone. I want to operate the print software from a computer I don't sync my iPad to. Is this possible?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
craigspofford said:
Question I have is this about fingerprint or any other printing option: does it allow me to put it on any desktop on my network? My primary computer is a laptop which is often with me or asleep when I want to print from my iPad or iPhone. I want to operate the print software from a computer I don't sync my iPad to. Is this possible?

FingerPrint resides on my desktop PC w/ my two printers cabled via USB - works fine w/ the iPad; obviously, the computer has to be on and the iPad on the same network. Good luck!

WillS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
craigspofford said:

I have Fingerprint installed on my office PC and my PC at home. My iPhone & iPad find the connected printers depending which wi-fi I'm connected to. It will work on a laptop with a connected printer also. If you have problems printing make sure the bonjour and fingerprint services are running.

BTW - I didn't notice any mention of bonjour in this thread. I have a lot of printers connected to my office PC via our LAN. I use bonjour to select the ones I want available to the iDevices via Fingerprint.

I only sync my iDevices with my office PC.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts