iPad predictions 2017 models

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by KevinJS, Nov 20, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    On the Mac laptops running macOS, the USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3) ports allows charging, data transfer, and video; however, an USB adapter cable will be needed to attach to these newest generation connections - see pics below from this Apple Article.

Now, if Apple in the newer iPads replaces the 'Lightning Charging Port' w/ the newer USB-C one, the device will still be running iOS which is not an hierarchal OS, like macOS or Windows, and using standard USB drives (or external HDs w/ a USB-C cable) in the same manner is likely not going to happen in my mind - BUT, iOS can always be changed in upcoming versions and/or developer's might come up w/ an 'iPad Manager' like iExplorer (which I use) which might allow the use of external HDs in a more traditional fashion - don't know but will be interesting? Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 11.59.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 12.00.28 PM.png

#11 giradman, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Data transfer between the large iPad Pro and a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the lightning to USB C cable is significantly faster than with a USB 2 or 3 connection. This means much faster syncing.

#12 scifan57, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    OH, I agree - have looked at the transfer rates in the link in my post - my question from Diane's post and implication that the newer iPads w/ this USB-C connection could use a standard external HD similar to plugging into a macOS or PC computer? Just doubtful that Apple will allow the rigidly 'sandboxed' iOS to permit that usage - but will be completely open - hard to predict what Apple may do or not? Dave :)

4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    On the subject of Skype, perhaps they will bring in fingerprint login (or even auto fill password)?

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That will be up to Skype as Apple now allows third party apps to use Touch ID for logging in. My banking app now uses Touch ID to log in.

#15 scifan57, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Agree and my error. I read this as iPad general changes, rather than the models as per topic ititle. (Btw, 1password, FileBrowser, Readdle Document, etc. all use fingerprint, but Skype has resisted user requests )

7. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    maybe there will be a ipad mini as thin as a ipad air.