What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad phone number & uses???

P__A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a iPhone 3GS for almost a year now... My mom didn't like the iPad 2 she got from my dad for her birthday so she gave it to me and I got it hooked up thru Verizon today. I didn't expect it to be assigned a phone number. Now I know there are phone apps like Skype and free texting apps out there... But can I use the Verizon "phone line" for calls or texts? Can I use the Messages app for non-iMessage users?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, unfortunately, the iPad doesn't have the innards to make it be a phone. So, everything it can do, it has to do over the Internet. The phone number you get from the wireless company is only for ID purposes.

And, the one thing you cannot do is use iMessage to talk to non-iMessage users; iMessage is only for those iDevices on iOS 5. I'm pretty sure you can't even use the iMessage app on the iPad to initiate "normal" text messages.

However, you can still use various messaging apps to communicate via texting. I have used Google Voice (free) and it works well. Of course, there are probably hundreds of texting apps available in the App Store...

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
P__A

P__A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I figured.. I found this forums app and figured I'd ask.

Anyone know of any cool things I can use my iPhone 3GS together with my iPad 2 for?? I've seen a game where you can use 2 iPhones with the iPad and the iPhone are used as controllers. Thought that was kinda cool.. Any other uses???

Sent from my iPad, that my mom gave me because she didn't like it, using iPF :)

Most reactions

Latest posts