1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

IpAd phone calls

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ajooba1982, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Ajooba1982

Ajooba1982 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can the iPad 3G receive phone calls just like a regular phone? If it can, then I am thinking about getting rid of my phone and just use the iPad for calling and text. I barely use the phone/voice service, maybe 10 calls a week just about.

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using skype and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

If someone calls me, will my ipad ring or get a push notification?

Please give me some advice.
  2. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Yes it can. Get the whistle phone app for iPad. It'll turn ur iPad into a viop enabled device for making and receiving phone calls. It will even give ur iPad it's own phone number with ur native area code, I have it n love it. N I have a wifi version of iPad and it wrks well. U get all this for free plus free call forwarding to ir cell phone if u don't pick up when someone calling ur whistle number.
    I wouldn't get rifle of the cell phone though. Although whistle is pretty stable n reliable, it goes off the Internet. U know how Internet can act up at times. U don't want to get urself caught n an emergency needing to make a call. Whistle phone is a good compliment tomthe cell. U can always give out ur whistle number to people who u don't want to have ur personal cell number..lol like a business line or somethin.
  3. Ajooba1982

Ajooba1982 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanx for your response. If you friends call you, does it always ring? I mean are the incoming push notifications always reliable or only sometimes?
  4. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Yes, for the most part. Just don't delete it from background or task switcher. So it's pretty reliable on wifi tethered so I know it should be good on your 3G service. Calls be sounding very clear also. It's a cool feature n will maze ur friends. You can also plug in the cell phone earbuds with mic for better hearing and talking. BT headset might wrk also. Let us know how u like it and how well it wrks for your ipad2!