IpAd phone calls

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ajooba1982, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Ajooba1982

Ajooba1982 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can the iPad 3G receive phone calls just like a regular phone? If it can, then I am thinking about getting rid of my phone and just use the iPad for calling and text. I barely use the phone/voice service, maybe 10 calls a week just about.

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using skype and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

If someone calls me, will my ipad ring or get a push notification?

Please give me some advice.

2. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Yes it can. Get the whistle phone app for iPad. It'll turn ur iPad into a viop enabled device for making and receiving phone calls. It will even give ur iPad it's own phone number with ur native area code, I have it n love it. N I have a wifi version of iPad and it wrks well. U get all this for free plus free call forwarding to ir cell phone if u don't pick up when someone calling ur whistle number.
    I wouldn't get rifle of the cell phone though. Although whistle is pretty stable n reliable, it goes off the Internet. U know how Internet can act up at times. U don't want to get urself caught n an emergency needing to make a call. Whistle phone is a good compliment tomthe cell. U can always give out ur whistle number to people who u don't want to have ur personal cell number..lol like a business line or somethin.

3. Ajooba1982

Ajooba1982 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanx for your response. If you friends call you, does it always ring? I mean are the incoming push notifications always reliable or only sometimes?

4. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Yes, for the most part. Just don't delete it from background or task switcher. So it's pretty reliable on wifi tethered so I know it should be good on your 3G service. Calls be sounding very clear also. It's a cool feature n will maze ur friends. You can also plug in the cell phone earbuds with mic for better hearing and talking. BT headset might wrk also. Let us know how u like it and how well it wrks for your ipad2!