What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad or laptop

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
As it stands right now,I'm almost completely free from my laptop when using the iPad. The only thing I need it for right now is to store my iPad backups.

iCloud backup. Works wonders and when I upgraded from my iPad 1 to my new iPad 3, all my data was there without having to worry about a computer to store it on.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somerled said:
iCloud backup. Works wonders and when I upgraded from my iPad 1 to my new iPad 3, all my data was there without having to worry about a computer to store it on.

iCloud backup doesn't store apps. I have several apps that are no longer available in the app store and aren't in my purchased list. They have to be stored on my computer and transferred to my devices as needed.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Your actual iTunes "backup" does not store apps either. iTunes stores them in its library. Yes, you have to reconnect or sync to get the apps back. Trust me, using the iCloud and syncing to iTunes works and it works well.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somerled said:
Your actual iTunes "backup" does not store apps either. iTunes stores them in its library. Yes, you have to reconnect or sync to get the apps back. Trust me, using the iCloud and syncing to iTunes works and it works well.

Actually the backup you make on your computer does contain the actual apps. That's why iTunes on my computer contains several apps that are no longer available in the app store and no longer appear on my iTunes app store purchased list.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Ok, the BACKUP is not the same as the storage location of where the apps are located on the actual computer. The BACKUP is the settings and data, not apps. the apps are recopied from the iTunes library on the computer. when I restored mine, I had to go in to the sync in iTunes and recheck the the apps no longer available in the App Store. This has nothing to do with "purchased list" but with the actual app file on the hard drive of the computer - not in the backup file of the iPad.

2 completely different things here.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somerled said:
Ok, the BACKUP is not the same as the storage location of where the apps are located on the actual computer. The BACKUP is the settings and data, not apps. the apps are recopied from the iTunes library on the computer. when I restored mine, I had to go in to the sync in iTunes and recheck the the apps no longer available in the App Store. This has nothing to do with "purchased list" but with the actual app file on the hard drive of the computer - not in the backup file of the iPad.

2 completely different things here.

Worth remembering, and a good reason to do regular SYNCs and BACKUPs and understand the difference between them.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need the iPad, but want the MacBook Pro. I have pretty much stopped using my work laptop and can do almost (but I'm hoping for this to change sometime) everything important on my iPad 3. I mainly have to view docs and reply to e-mails. I have the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and it's a great and portable match for me. However, if funds are availble I WANT a MacBook Pro badly!!!

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO, a tablet cannot fully replace a desktop/laptop completely. As of today that is, who knows in the next few years. Too many things a dt/lt can do that a tablet can't.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For business use the iPad can replace a laptop, however before embarking on this path I always inform clients that they need to do research on their daily software usage and workflow, taking that into consideration 90% of users feel they can then replace their trusty laptop but often fall short in the workflow due to the closed system of iPad OS.
This is remedied by workflow training that I then provide with correct iPad software replacement.
Some points that crop up often:

As a mobile device for viewing data with minimal editing it works well.
Note taking in meetings : excellent
Replacing complex spreadsheets : not bad but has limits
Advanced email: not bad but with limits

In my case it replaced my Netbook which had a 7 hour battery life and a 3G dongle, it still took me 6 months of research before hand to buy the iPad1 , as the price was similar to a laptop in my country, I had to justify the cost.
A year later I'm on my 2nd iPad the new iPad 3 and I have converted my total daily business usage to 95% on iPad and only do advanced accounting and spreadsheets on the PC.

My usage on iPad is as follows:
Email
Web internet research
Client data base
Form design and Implementation to PDF
GTD (get things done to do reminders and workflow)
Secure password data base storage cross platform synch
PDF forms with signature
PDF manuals - reading and modification.
Remote access to servers
Time logging for billing
PDF scanning to edit and archive.
Word and excel editing
Navigation
Photo editing
Reading books leisure and business
I.T diagnostic tools.

And much more....