What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad or laptop

karlasegovia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a vaio sony laptop but i was wondering if an ipad is beyter which IS better?

Piscean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think about what you want from your device. If you don't care that you can't have multiple windows open at a time, if you don't need a USB port or cd drive, or don't need a lot of the programs available for pc or Mac, then an iPad is a great alternative.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, most of the common program's on the computer are available on the app store, so it still makes your iPad usable in working situations, however as previously mentioned an iPad doesn't have a USB port or for that matter any other port part from the power/transfer port. There is also another solution, you can control your laptop from you're iPad, basically this program projects what's on your computer screen on your iPad, from anywhere in the world as long as you have an active connection on both devices, p.s. this app is secure. So you can perform any task you previously could on your laptop now on your iPad anywhere, anytime for free.

Add me on ...Moderator Notice---please do not self promote here...live support!
The iDevice Guru

*** see Moderator Notice ***

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends. Lots of things I can do on the iPad but there are still things that I really need a laptop for. For you it may be different. A lot of what traditionally has been done on a laptop can be done on an iPad with Bluetooth keyboard. For some, this combination is all they need. It does not have to be one or the other. I like to use the right tool for the job. iPad and bt kb is very light. Can be a good combination for travel. You have to decide for yourself. It depends.

athiaawad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man this depend on ur need. A great deal of some tips i can perform about the apple ipad nevertheless it is possible to stuff that I seriously have to have a laptop computer pertaining to. For you personally it could be distinct. Plenty of precisely what typically continues to be completed with a mobile computer can be carried out while on an ipad tablet along with Wireless bluetooth computer keyboard.

For many, this mix is they want. No should be either. I prefer to utilize correct instrument to do the job. apple ipad along with british telecom kilobytes is incredibly gentle. Could be a great mix with regard to journey.

You will need to decide upon your self. It all depends.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have both. Sync the iPad with the MacBook Pro. Wife has iPad as well. iPad is not a computer and will never replace mine. That said, it is a great tool for web surfing, watching movies and TV on the little screen, reading books and checking your email. If those are your only needs then perhaps. But you will still need the computer to sync it with.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
It is hard to know what device will work better for someone else until they say exactly what they want out of a mobile device. For myself, I have both a MBP and an iPad. Why? Because each has their spot. My MBP is for development and heavy use and while it is mobile, I don't always want to take it out. As my job requires me to carry a work laptop (Thinkpad T420) I don't want to be carrying two laptops with me, especially on my commute to and from work. This is why I got the iPad. It lets me do the majority of what I want to on it (reading, internet, movies/shows and music) during my commute and at lunch, without having to worry about 2 laptops.

I recently got my mom an iPad for when she and my dad are traveling. She didn't need much more than internet and email and books and it didn't make sense for them to have a laptop they were not going to carry and use. The iPad has given them the ease of internet and connectivity that the laptop did not.

Sit down, make a list of what you want out of a mobile device and see which device fits better. This is all up to you.

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad lifestyle, laptop work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
iPad lifestyle, laptop work.

Too simplistic - my MBP is as much part of my lifestyle as my iPad. My work laptop is for work, my personal laptop does everything, my iPad is for fun with touches of work and creation. It comes down to individual use, which is why these questions are too old and overdone and no one ever really cares that much. It comes down to "I am not you, so how do I know what you need/want?"

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too simplistic - my MBP is as much part of my lifestyle as my iPad. My work laptop is for work, my personal laptop does everything, my iPad is for fun with touches of work and creation. It comes down to individual use, which is why these questions are too old and overdone and no one ever really cares that much. It comes down to "I am not you, so how do I know what you need/want?"

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
Have both. Sync the iPad with the MacBook Pro. Wife has iPad as well. iPad is not a computer and will never replace mine. That said, it is a great tool for web surfing, watching movies and TV on the little screen, reading books and checking your email. If those are your only needs then perhaps. But you will still need the computer to sync it with.

Sorry, but the iPad is indeed a computer in every sense of that term.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 2 to serve as an extension of my MacBook Pro, but after 14 months, my MBP is now an extension of my iPad.

That's because my software needs are pretty basic and the 3—5 functions I can't perform on my iPad I can still perform by remotely logging into my MBP from wherever I am.

Maybe you should make a list of the software you need and the computer functions you currently use and check to see which ones you can't perform on an iPad. Then check to see if you can still use your iPad to remotely log into your current computer in order to complete them. That's what I did, so I knew that I'd still need my laptop before I bought my iPad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Sorry, but the iPad is indeed a computer in every sense of that term.

I totally agree it is a computer 100% The iPad has replaced 90% of my requirements The MacBook primarily is used for iTunes main storage We sort out playlists for syncing. The other use is backup for 6 iDevices. The iTunes library is synced to original Apple TV as well as a second new Apple Tv I have replaced my quoting and invoice program on the laptop with quick sale on the iPad

It is obvious that it is being used as a replacement for mainstream home computers under $700 as it is killing sales in that market Just my 2 cent worth

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As it stands right now,I'm almost completely free from my laptop when using the iPad. The only thing I need it for right now is to store my iPad backups.

Most reactions