What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad or ipad 2

gaz999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi im new to this forum,so forgive me if my question sounds daft.my wife plays hidden object games ,iwas wondering if original ipad or 2 would be better for such games or is there little difference in graphics, speed etc .

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there - the iPad 2 does have a faster processor and more RAM so it is a better overall gaming machine. That doesn't mean the iPad 1 isn't a solid device because it is. Usually, recommendations go like this:

1. If you dont own any iPad currently and you aren't on a tighter budget, getting the iPad 2 makes the most sense.
2. If you are trying to keep costs down then the iPad 1 represents a good buy these days and would work.

The iPad 2 also has cameras but the picture taking one isn't that great. I don't think the cameras are an important feature but that's just me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an iPad 2 if budget allows, because the latest firmware is already hampering performance on iPad 1 (issues with memory handling). The iPad 2 has twice as much memory (that's different from GBs) as iPad 1, and faster innards overall.

iPad 2 also is likely to get firmware upgrades longer than iPad 1 at this point, and resale value will be higher for iPad 2, if that's a concern. We're only a few months from iPad 3 if Apple sticks to usual production patterns, which would put iPad 1 two generations behind.

For reference, I have iPad 1 and 2. My iPad 1 has served me well, but I sure wouldn't buy one at this point.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi im new to this forum,so forgive me if my question sounds daft.my wife plays hidden object games ,iwas wondering if original ipad or 2 would be better for such games or is there little difference in graphics, speed etc .

As far as "hidden object" games are concerned, I doubt seriously that there is any advantage for the iPad 2. The iPad 2 has a number of gaming advantages but the static graphics displays in hidden object games are unlikely to be affected.But having said that, I'd also agree with Kaykaykay's point. Unless you can get a fire sale price on a used iPad 1, I'd opt for the newer generation.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would suggest the iPad2 as well.
Your wife may be initially interested in games but she'll soon discover how versatile the gadget is and want to explore other options.
Family photos, online shopping, tv catch-up, reading in bed, videos etc..

Best be prepared.

Most reactions

Latest posts