What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad opens wrong app

cutnstuf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So today I plugged my iPad into my iMac to do a backup and instead of iTunes opening, iPhoto opened instead. So then I tried plugging into my Mac laptop,...and the same thing happened. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not doing anything wrong, that's the normal default iTunes behavior when connecting an iOS device to iTunes. If you don't want this to happen, read this Apple help page and follow the instructions. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1501

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know you could use Image Capture to turn off the camera detection. The setting can also be found in iPhotos and Aperture's preferences, which is where I've always dealt with it in the past.

It does not matter which place you set it. Whatever app you pick in one (or no app if you prefer) is the app that will open when a camera is detected. And plugging in an iOS device is usually detected as a camera; making it easier to export photos from the camera roll.

OP
cutnstuf

cutnstuf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hadn't backed it up in a long time, but I thought I remembered it opening in iTunes. Is it because I'm running 10.6.8 on the iMac and 7.whatever on the ipad?

PS: Thanks for the info regarding image capture.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The option to open iTunes and sync when the iPad is plugged in is in the first tab of sync settings. You can only see/change it when the iPad is plugged in and selected in iTunes.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the default behavior my have changed to no launching iTunes with iOS 7, or maybe earlier. I've always had auto-launch and auto-syncing turned off. I like iTunes to do it's thing when, and only when, I tell it to.

iTunes should still detect the iPad when you have it open and the iPad plugged in.

The iPhoto/camera thing is separate, and usually off by default. I'm not sure if enabling one disables the other, but I suppose it might. It would certainly be confusing for two apps to launch and start syncing whenever you plug the iPad in.

Most reactions

Latest posts