What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD on Belkin N+

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad will connect on Belkin N+ using WPA/WPA2 but will lose its WIFI connection after it sleeps.

I discovered that using WEP128bit, it will work perfectly and will recover WIFI Connection perfectly after waking up.

I had been using this setup for 2 days now, ZERO issues, just perfect.

DISCOVERED ALSO, my Apple TV behaves the same as my IPAD. It now could recover its WIFI connection from sleep.

Everything just works perfectly now.

Belkin N+ has the newest firmware 2.01.08
IPAD iOS 4.2.1. (8C148)

I am using WEP 128 Hex now because I don't want to keep on restarting WIFI ON and OFF just to recover from Sleep.

My only concern now is that WEP is easily hackable.

Pirchryn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know you pay all this money for the iPad and it doesn't work ver frustrating. Apple needs t do a better job! I am starting to see the quality of their continually go down.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, both of you!

I know you pay all this money for the iPad and it doesn't work ver frustrating. Apple needs t do a better job! I am starting to see the quality of their continually go down.

Pirchryn, do you have an iPad?

Just wondering since it seems like you don't know its build quality. If you have an iPad, what have you found on your iPad that would deteriorate your opinion of Apple?

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but reading about the iPad versus actually owning one and using one AND basing your opine on actual use, is far more credible.

Sorry clrk9000, I didn't mean to highjack your post...you were saying....

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I don't think it is the iPad. I use WPA2 with no problem at all on my iPad. No issues with it waking up and getting back in wifi. Don't have to restart wifi for it to work.

These are generally issues on the router side. I don't have a Belkin, I have a Cisco, and it is highly customized for media sharing and remote desktop and Splashtop and FTP access. Computers, especially Windows, can compensate for fluctuations with a router, especially if it is a "zero setup" router, however other devices cannot.

Mystichrome447

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my N+ router and I purchased a dual band netgear router. Zero issues whatsoever since the new router. You may want to look into a different router.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it is the iPad. I use WPA2 with no problem at all on my iPad. No issues with it waking up and getting back in wifi. Don't have to restart wifi for it to work.

I agree with this one. I use WPA2 at home and at the office. No issues whatsoever on waking up. Im using a CISCO and and a LINKSYS.

My iPAD recognizes them immediately .

Pirchryn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I own an Ipad just frustrating that I have to reconfigure my router from WPA2 to 128 WEP. I have done so and it now works flawlessly, however I am disappointed with the IPAD needing to downgrade to older technology just for use. It cannot be the router side as I was using a wireless printer, macbook, iphone, blackberry, and tablet off the router without any problems. I think Apple needs to figure out why the IPAD is having issues with Belkin routers, it is not for the consumer who pays top dollar for their product to struggle with simple use.

Just my two cents.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I own an Ipad just frustrating that I have to reconfigure my router from WPA2 to 128 WEP. I have done so and it now works flawlessly, however I am disappointed with the IPAD needing to downgrade to older technology just for use. It cannot be the router side as I was using a wireless printer, macbook, iphone, blackberry, and tablet off the router without any problems. I think Apple needs to figure out why the IPAD is having issues with Belkin routers, it is not for the consumer who pays top dollar for their product to struggle with simple use.

Just my two cents.

Well, I installed a Belkin wireless N Router last week and my iPad has no problems connecting to it what so ever. It also did perfectly fine with the linksys router I had before Belkin, that is until the router corked off on me.

As far as Apples quality going downhill in general I strongly disagree. I also have an Apple Magic Mouse and a wireless keyboard (bt). Both are great.

I would think if there is an issue connecting to your router that it might be related to interference from other wireless networks. I live in a very rural area and I'm still able to pick up one or two other wireless networks. My nearest neighbor is over a football field away.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pirchryn, Why Should Apple Fix a Belkin Product?

Just my two cents.

If I used your logic, every time a pothole appears on the streets of Fort Wayne, I should contact BMW to get the pothole filled because every time I drive over the pothole, it creates a problem for my car?

Of course I could do what you did and change lanes or take another route that is a pothole free street (you reconfigured your router from WPA2 to 128 WEP) but the problem persists, the pothole remains, so I'm going to call the City of Fort Wayne and report the pothole. You might want to go to Belkin and see what they can do to update your router that they sold you.

OP
C

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Ipad vs. Belkin N+

With due respect to other posters, I believe the problem lies in Belkin N+ rather than the Ipad.

I noticed also that changing the TIMEZONE while on WAP or WPA2 will cause the router to crash. Definitely, there is a bug in its firmware.

ON WEP, I could change the TIMEZONE just perfectly without causing the router to crash.

THIS OBSERVATION ONLY APPLIES TO BELKIN N+ and Apple Ipad setup.

For information purposes, Belkin N+ and the Apple Ipad are running perfectly since Nov. 29 with ZERO issues.

For those who have similar setup, Belkin N+ and Ipad ONLY, please do post your own observation.

Paja66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem with Belkin N+ and iPad. It works fine when on-line, but when iPad wakes up, the WiFI connection is still there (in WiFi setting), but not working. I have always switch off WiFi, then switch it back on and then it is working fine until next sleep. I do not know if the issue is on iPad or Belkin side, but I really would appreciate if anyone could help me how avoid this issue.
clrk9000: what is your config when it is working fine for you since NOV 29? I tried to change the settings on both Belkin and iPad but still having the same problem.

OP
C

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use WEP

Changing your security setting to WEP will solve the sleep wifi issue.

Strangely, my 1st generation ipod touch with old OS works perfectly with Belkin N+ with both WAP and WPA security settings.

Overall, Im very happy with my Apple goodies ie. Touch, ipad and Apple TV2g.

BTW, I use Windows PCs and notebooks. Cant afford Mac :) seriously.

Risr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a Belkin N+ and have the same issue with and 4G IPOD coming out of sleep mode. I don't notice this when the IPOD is on another wireless network. Seem consistant with the Belkin N+.

Paja66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, this is constant issue with WPA security setting. I switch it to WEP and works fine now.
I would like to know if this is Apple or Belkin issue. Because my notebook with Windows works fine with Belkin & WPA, it looks it is an Apple issue. I hope Mr. Jobs will fix it in next iOS version.

lyndonaus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Belkin N+ iPad prob

I also have a Belkin N+ and have the same issue with and 4G IPOD coming out of sleep mode. I don't notice this when the IPOD is on another wireless network. Seem consistant with the Belkin N+.
I have owned an iPad for about 2 months and I have a Belkin N+ Vision Router controlling my home network, I have never had a problem with the connection to the iPad after sleep and I use WPA2 security setting.

As some one else suggest in the thread if you don't experience problems on another network maybe there is some local interference in the location of the Belkin, if so, you can hardly blame Belkin! :rolleyes:

Most reactions