What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad on a budget- advice/ point me in the right direction?

daveofedinburgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been looking at the original IPad on EBay for some time now. It seems that 16gb, 3G & Wi-fi sim-free IPads can be bought from trusted UK sellers for less than £300, which is my absolute maximum spend.
Is this a sensible way to purchase an IPad on a budget? Should I be looking at sim-free/ jailbroken IPads? Is it wise to buy from a U.S. seller? If I do go for a sim-free IPad, how much will I need to spend to get a sim/ contract which will allow me to use 3G? I currently have a contract with O2 for my IPhone 4.
Any advice/ pointing me towards threads where this is covered would be greatly appreciated.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know you have said £300 is your absolute limit but if you could squeeze an extra few quid then these come up in the Apple refurb store (currently out of stock but you need to check back daily) http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC496

An Apple refurb will be as good as new and have a full warranty on it as if it were new.

I would think carefully about buying negron overseas as you may well get an unexpected bill from customs and excise.

Other than that I can't help much but good luck.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - definitely be careful about buying from the US as you'll be charged Import Duty and 20% VAT when the iPad is imported. No way around that, so factor that into any price calculations. Be careful, too, of supposed 'bargains' on eBay. Members have discovered several scams there with 'broken contract' Orange iPads being offered for sale, that are locked to Orange.

Tim

OP
D

daveofedinburgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With regards to buying from the U.S., I dont think Ill bother, as there seem to be plenty available here. A quick search for Apple IPad on EBay (set 'Buy it now' and 'UK Only') turns up lots of 'As new' 16GB 3G & Wi-fi sim-free ones at or below £300. As Gabriel mentioned, keeping an eye out for Apple refurbed units might be a better bet.
If Im going the EBay route, my main concern is whether to buy a jailbroken IPad, and how best to do the sim-free thing- obviously my O2 contract sim will remain in my IPhone, can I buy a cheap sim/ contract that would allow me to use 3G on my IPad?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a success story. I'm on a budget and bought an iPad on eBay. I made sure they had 100% seller info, I went for a private seller updating to new iPad 2 and I'm writing on it now! Still good 8 months later. I think only you know whether to go for it. I did but mine is a wi-fi model. Be careful when it comes to 3G. Make sure it's definitely off contract or it's O2 if that's who you are with. Good luck and let us know if it's successful.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
daveofedinburgh said:
With regards to buying from the U.S., I dont think Ill bother, as there seem to be plenty available here. A quick search for Apple IPad on EBay (set 'Buy it now' and 'UK Only') turns up lots of 'As new' 16GB 3G & Wi-fi sim-free ones at or below £300. As Gabriel mentioned, keeping an eye out for Apple refurbed units might be a better bet.
If Im going the EBay route, my main concern is whether to buy a jailbroken IPad, and how best to do the sim-free thing- obviously my O2 contract sim will remain in my IPhone, can I buy a cheap sim/ contract that would allow me to use 3G on my IPad?

Regarding buying a jailbroken iPad you may want to get some advice from our hacking forum members as you would need to restore to get your own Apple ID to work on it and the hacking guys and girls will tell you what you need to know before buying.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, I know nothing about how the UK works for buying stuff, but, I just want to throw a reminder out there when buying from a private individual.

If the person advertises the iPad as being "unlocked" - test it out first. I've read horror stories (here on this forum, even) about people who buy iPads that were sold as unlocked but were really not. The new member was stuck with whatever provider the iPad started with. And, sometimes it isn't fixable/transferable because the original owner owes money on the account - and the provider (understandably) doesn't want to change the info over without getting their money.

So, in recap: Buyer beware!

Marilyn

P.S. I'm not meaning to scare anyone off from buying from a private individual - because most are honest. It's just a warning against the one person who isn't so up-front...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How much do you need 3G?
Our iPad's are all wifi as they are used mainly at home, but I do have a 3 pay as you go mifi for the times I'm away. They work together just fine.
Mifi was around £60 with a three hour battery life.
Just another option.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Check your O2 contract. If the carrier permits data sharing between devices, usually a nominal fee per device, you can get a wifi only iPad, less expensive, and tether to your iPhone for 3G connectivity.
Good luck.
AA

My DH has an O2 contract for his HTC phone and we have absolutely no trouble using it to get wifi on my iPad. His contract, bought through an O2 shop, includes unlimited Internet for an extra £4 or £5 pounds a month, and his total contract is around £30 pm. My iPad is mostly used around the house, but our home internet is with BT which gives free access to BT Fon and BT Openzone. I've really not found a problem getting wifi when I need it out and about as many places offer it free, including the local bus.

Most reactions

Latest posts