What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad office suite suggestions. Plus best apps for business & students. Help?

Joellaviscount

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm an iPad newbie and would really appreciate some help.

I've been surfing the forum looking for answers to my first question and can't seem to work it out from all of the different answers so I apologise if this overlaps in anyway.

My first question is which would be the best app to use for office functions? I'm a student and I have to use PowerPoint, Word and Excel on a daily basis. I'd like to be able to make, edit and read all of these formats. Powerpoint is really important as all my lectures are in that format. I've heard good things about quick office, office hd and docs to go but cannot for the life of me work out which is best for everything that I need. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

And secondly does anyone have any suggestions on apps that I definitely need as a student? I also run a small business so any app suggestions that would help with the daily running of a business would be great?

I hope I got all of this in the right place. I tried to follow all of the rules I read. If I didn't just let me know and I'll repost where it belongs.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm an iPad newbie and would really appreciate some help.

I've been surfing the forum looking for answers to my first question and can't seem to work it out from all of the different answers so I apologise if this overlaps in anyway.

My first question is which would be the best app to use for office functions? I'm a student and I have to use PowerPoint, Word and Excel on a daily basis. I'd like to be able to make, edit and read all of these formats. Powerpoint is really important as all my lectures are in that format. I've heard good things about quick office, office hd and docs to go but cannot for the life of me work out which is best for everything that I need. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

And secondly does anyone have any suggestions on apps that I definitely need as a student? I also run a small business so any app suggestions that would help with the daily running of a business would be great?

I hope I got all of this in the right place. I tried to follow all of the rules I read. If I didn't just let me know and I'll repost where it belongs.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

I've been using

Apple 'Pages' - Word compatible
Apple 'Numbers' - Excel compatible
Apple 'Keynote' - PowerPoint compatible

These apps can read Office 2007 & 2010 format files (i.e. .doc & .docx etc), edit them and re-export the files.

Apple has a good 'Help' website here

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

that will answer most of your questions about these apps. I've found them to be quite good, though they can struggle with very complex documents. You can import documents directly from email attachments (press and hold the attachment after it's opened in iPad Mail and it will give you the option of 'Open in Pages' etc. Or, if you subscribe to MobileMe you can import and export directly to your iDisk from 'Pages' etc, moving the documents back and forth to your Mac/PC.

Another good app is 'Notes Plus'

Notes Plus

which allows you to take notes/draw sketches/voice recorder in class, using handwriting on the screen or with the keyboard. It has some really clever features and you'll see from the reviews in the Apple app store is highly thought of by users.

Tim
Scotland

Grafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally use doc to go, its been great and has option to save ur docs to googledocs or dropbox

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with tim's suggestion, you have to buy 3 apps. so you have to check prices unless it doesnt matter to you.
I used Docstogo wihich supports microsoft office formats. it also support dropbox so you could download your document from there. another app which is useful is goodreader. there is an extensive thread of goodreader in this forum.
and dont forget dropbox. it's very useful plus it's free.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree about Dropbox and Goodreader (which is integrated with Dropbox as well as quite a few other apps). I use Office HD for my docs and spreadsheets--also integrated with Dropbox.

Another suggestion--a note taking app which I learned about here. Lots of students use it as well as many other people. I have several other handwriting apps but this is by far, BY FAR, the best. I use a stylus with it but with its 2 methods of editing you can use your finger but using a stylus I write on it same as on notrbook paper. Note Taker HD

Diane

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally use doc to go, its been great and has option to save ur docs to googledocs or dropbox

I am with you. I use Doc To Go along with DropBox for file storage. With these two apps I have been able to put away my HP 2140 net book.

OP
J

Joellaviscount

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks so much for all of your help.

I went with goodreader, dropbox and documents to go. They've been working great. :)

I got simple note & note taker as well.

I'm all ready for my next term at uni with my iPad now.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts