What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Numbers

Tfladen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Other than "Beginning with numbers" on iPad app, is there a manual.

2. If I create a cell formatted for time with day and date, can I drag this cell somehow or copy is value such that the next 30 cells either horizontally or vertically would be consecutively dated without having manually input such.

Todd Fladen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've got iPad iWorks: The Unofficial Handbook. I don't care for it much. I suppose it is more complete than the the included tutorial, but it never seems to address the questions I come up with.

To do cell fills.

Tap to select the cell you want to start filling from. Wait a second, and tap it again. You'll get a menu. One of the items is Fill. Select it and you will get a yellow box with handles to drag either vertically or horizontally. Drag to fill cells with consecutive number, dates, times, etc.

If you drag text, it just duplicates the text.

If you want to set fill interval greater than 1, then create two cells with the gap between them. say cell one is 1, and two is 5. Then tap the cell to select, drag the handles to select both cells. Then do the menu, fill, drag thing to fill more cells.

Results sould be something like 1, 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. This should work with dates and times as well.

You may have to experiment to get the exact effect you want.

Note: If you tap twice too quickly you'll get the cell editor. Once you get used to this, it is actually kind of handy.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tfladen said:
1. Other than "Beginning with numbers" on iPad app, is there a manual.

2. If I create a cell formatted for time with day and date, can I drag this cell somehow or copy is value such that the next 30 cells either horizontally or vertically would be consecutively dated without having manually input such.

Todd Fladen

I started reading The Missing Manual for iWorks09
The Numbers section is very informative but not very exciting so I kept falling asleep and had to return the book to the library before I got into the really useful stuff

For filling ranges I usually manually enter the first three values in the series to make sure Numbers understands my progression. Then is is simple tap and drag like twerppoet described. I haven't found Numbers to scroll when my finger reaches the bottom of the screen, or maybe I am just to impatient, so I have to drag the screen up and start another fill operation if the range I am filling is more than a screen high. This can be minimized a bit by pinching the table down to it's smallest size so more rows/columns fit on a screen.

Most reactions