What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad not powerful? I beg to differ

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I was in the market for an iPad a friend of mine recommended I save my money and buy a desktop computer instead - this friend knows that my hobby is website/graphics creation. When I asked why, his reply was; "iPad just isn't powerful and there's so much it can't do".

Today I re-wrote my website from the ground up and this is how I did it.

* An FTP client (App Store) - used to connect and navigate the folders and files on my server (I'm in the US, my server is in the UK) as well as some file editing.
* Pages (by Apple) - used extensively for finding and replacing text (I love the "Replace All" function), very helpful with hundreds of lines of javascript.
* Safari (by Apple) - used extensively for testing my edits.
* Photos (by Apple) - used to crop and upload photos.

Note: I learned how to design webpages years ago in a text editor so I'm comfortable designing whole websites without the need for WYSIWYG editors. Doing everything manually is simpler and gives me more control anyway.

I was able to navigate the server, create and edit HTML, CSS and javascript code/files, upload files, rename files, and test the final versions. And, I used nothing more than my iPad mini and an FTP client that was available in the App Store. Think about the work that was accomplished, people pay big money to design and deploy entire websites.. and I did it with nothing more than an Apple iPad mini.

To be honest, all of this could have been done on my iPhone 4S, but this is an instance where the larger screen of the iPad mini was a definite plus.

iPad not powerful? I beg to differ :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice post. It shows that real work can indeed be done on iPad, and not only on iPad, but on iPad mini too. iPads are indeed real computers even though many seem to resist the notion with passion.

In another thread, another member was comparing the mini's screen to that of an iPhone, implying that if he can't have the screen of a full-sized iPad he might as well use that of an iPhone, which is to say the screen of the mini is no better. I beg to differ. :)

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice post. It shows that real work can indeed be done on iPad, and not only on iPad, but on iPad mini too. iPads are indeed real computers even though many seem to resist the notion with passion.

In another thread, another member was comparing the mini's screen to that of an iPhone, implying that if he can't have the screen of a full-sized iPad he might as well use that of an iPhone, which is to say the screen of the mini is no better. I beg to differ. :)

Indeed! I think this is a case where people see the smaller size of the iPad, as opposed to a desktop machine, and assume it's also small on benefits and power. Many people could benefit from actually using one for a few minutes before making assumptions.

Most reactions