What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad not discoverable by USB cable to my W7 computer

wrrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 computer. Autoplay runs happily when connecting all devices, including external drives, camera and memory sticks etc. However when I plug my IPAD 3 in to my computer via USB cable, nothing happens and it is not being "discovered". It is switched on.

I am relatively new to IPAD but have gone through the various settings in it and as far as I can tell I have them set up appropriately, but maybe not?

I am using an Apple adapter to connect a USB cable from the IPAD to the PC.

My ultimate desire is to be able to transfer holiday pictures from my IPAD, which I straightforwardedly uploaded from my camera's memory card, to my PC.

OP
W

wrrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read that thread, thanks, and not sure it solves my problem. I can, it appears, sync my pictures with itunes, but I aborted that, because I do not want to sync there and use a large amount of storage. I would simply like to transfer pics from ipad, approx 5GB, to my computer. by cable preferably.

I am used to my camera or other external devices being recognised by my W7 PC when I plug them in and then seeing them as external files and folders that I can copy or move. That is what I would like to do with my IPAD. I would like my IPAD to show as an external device when I connect it to my PC, but it is not.

When I plug in my IPAD to my computer I get a message "personal hotspot 1 Connection, not charging" So clearly there is some connectivity, but alas it is not being indicated on my computer except on itunes. And having closed itunes, it is still not showing up as an external device.

I have confirmed that my software for itunes is up to date, mobile support is properly installed on my PC and that Apple Mobile Device USB driver is present and correctly installed.

OP
W

wrrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I understand the basic mechanism of importing photos from an external device into Windows, and have done it lots of times from my camera, camera memory card and so on. The thing I am finding challenging is that my computer does not recognise that my IPAD is connected and that is the issue I think I need to resolve. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I plug in my IPAD to my computer I get a message "personal hotspot 1 Connection, not charging" So clearly there is some connectivity, but alas it is not being indicated on my computer except on itunes. And having closed itunes, it is still not showing up as an external device.

I have confirmed that my software for itunes is up to date, mobile support is properly installed on my PC and that Apple Mobile Device USB driver is present and correctly installed.

To me, it sounds like the PC is seeing the iPad as a modem device rather than the usual iPad configuration. Try checking the Settings and turn off any hotspot activity set up on the iPad. Make sure you disconnect from the PC. And reconnect after making the changes.

Most reactions

Latest posts