What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad no longer charges - can I get replacement from Apple Store?

Reaction score
I bought an iPad from Future Shop in Canada about 6 months ago. As of today, it no longer charges when you plug it in, so it's about to die - permanently. Can I bring it in to the Apple Store and get a replacement, or preferably pay extra for an iPad2? Thanks guys! :)

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CorporationOffAnIpad said:
I bought an iPad from Future Shop in Canada about 6 months ago. As of today, it no longer charges when you plug it in, so it's about to die - permanently. Can I bring it in to the Apple Store and get a replacement, or preferably pay extra for an iPad2? Thanks guys! :)

Sorry. Slightly off-topic however have you tried other outlets or power cords to see if it still doesn't charge? I find that sometimes its the outlet or outlet/cord combo. It happens regularly with me. I just change the outlet or the power cord and then its ok. It's not a consistent problem so it's hard for me to figure out.

Leo

OP
C
Reaction score

Sorry. Slightly off-topic however have you tried other outlets or power cords to see if it still doesn't charge? I find that sometimes its the outlet or outlet/cord combo. It happens regularly with me. I just change the outlet or the power cord and then its ok. It's not a consistent problem so it's hard for me to figure out.

Leo

Yea, tried both. :( So can I get it replaced? Also, do they require a receipt - I'm kinda lazy to look for it. :D

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are not affiliated with apple as we are a private forum so I suggest you go to an apple store or service centre and yes you will need your receipt then it is up to them based on what you are saying it should be covered by warranty. They will only replace the power charger if that is the problem unless the ipad is faulty.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We've had several reports from Members with a similar problem where it turned out to be either a faulty charger or a faulty cable. This is much more likely than a faulty iPad. If you don't have access to a spare charger (you could try plugging it into the USB port of your computer - with the iPad switched off it should charge slowly - very slowly - but it will charge - even though the iPad indicates 'Not charging').

Next step, for sure, would be to take it to the Apple Store and they can check it out with a spare charger there to see if it's an iPad or charger/cable problem.

If the iPad is faulty then they will replace it but, for sure, they'll want the receipt. I've not heard of Apple providing an upgrade path - they normally replace it with the same model exactly.

Tim

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, tried both. :( So can I get it replaced? Also, do they require a receipt - I'm kinda lazy to look for it. :D

I had warranty work done on a MBP and at the time I didn't have my receipt. I was traveling. They checked out the serial number, validated the purchase (and warranty) and processed the MBP without blinking an eye.

Whether they upgrade you is a different issue and subject to how long you had the device, the availability of a replacement, the cost to repair etc. And remember to be courteous

Leo

Most reactions