What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad music making and guitar recording...

simonrobson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I gave up making music about 12 years ago when i sold off my studio, a large rambling thing with plenty of outboard gear, looms and midi leads strewn around the place. Now I'm returning to music making and would like to explore the possibilities of doing most things on an iPad.

Firstly, I'm looking for a great music making App for the iPad. A Logic or Cubase kind of thing that would incorporate a good array of virtual instruments and drum kits, that I could compose with, add effects and compression, mix and so on. I've read a review of Cubasis for the iPad and it said the instruments were 'adequate at best'. Are there any better alternatives? Is the best thing to buy a number of different music Apps and synch them within the iPad? I really am new to this, in case you can't tell

I should add that I'm very keen on synths. In my previous studio I had a Korg MS20, a Clavier Nord Lead 2 and a Waldorf Microwave XT. So a good array of virtual synths would be well appreciated...

Next, I really want to get my guitar into the iPad. So guess I'm looking for a kind of pre-amp built to perform this task, plus I'm after a great virtual amp simulator. Then obviously I'd like to mix my recorded guitar in with the virtual instruments in whichever software I choose.

Any help from those in the know would really help a grey haired 40 something who lived and breathed music tech in the 90s and is now coming back after more than a decade's hiatus!

Thanks,

GaryLee4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I gave up making music about 12 years ago when i sold off my studio, a large rambling thing with plenty of outboard gear, looms and midi leads strewn around the place. Now I'm returning to music making and would like to explore the possibilities of doing most things on an iPad. Firstly, I'm looking for a great music making App for the iPad. A Logic or Cubase kind of thing that would incorporate a good array of virtual instruments and drum kits, that I could compose with, add effects and compression, mix and so on. I've read a review of Cubasis for the iPad and it said the instruments were 'adequate at best'. Are there any better alternatives? Is the best thing to buy a number of different music Apps and synch them within the iPad? I really am new to this, in case you can't tell I should add that I'm very keen on synths. In my previous studio I had a Korg MS20, a Clavier Nord Lead 2 and a Waldorf Microwave XT. So a good array of virtual synths would be well appreciated... Next, I really want to get my guitar into the iPad. So guess I'm looking for a kind of pre-amp built to perform this task, plus I'm after a great virtual amp simulator. Then obviously I'd like to mix my recorded guitar in with the virtual instruments in whichever software I choose. Any help from those in the know would really help a grey haired 40 something who lived and breathed music tech in the 90s and is now coming back after more than a decade's hiatus! Thanks,
. Try Auria, it's in the App Store . Sounds like just what you need.

Most reactions

Latest posts