What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Multitasking with Music

chipzip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I know the iPad does not officially multitask but can you at least listen to music with iTunes while reading or browsing the web?
I'm assuming the capabilities of the iPad match the iPhone but since I don't have an iPhone I'm left guessing.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm about 99% positive you will be able use iTunes while browsing the web, reading, or using the other applications. The iPhone allows this, and the iPad will be running the same OS.

Welcome to the forum!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you will be able to, and of rumors pan out the next version of the OS will support broader multitasking.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should be able to. Same as the iPhone and iPod Touch. There are a number of 3rd party applications already that have this capability as well.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure it will happen sometime soon too.
It must be unbearable from Apple's side to see their baby torn up in public for this.

This is clearly one of those details that shows the rush in which this product has been announced. The market will be a killer in Tablets and Apple wanted to be first. Luckily software updates allows the iPad a chance to multitask someday otherwise Apple could be accused of bad parenting by provoking an early birth, knowing the risks of brain damage...:p

Last edited:

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its possible, but i heard there was no multi-tasking at all.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its possible, but i heard there was no multi-tasking at all.

And where did you hear that? The Apple mobile OS already supports native app multitasking (music and itunes podasts can be on while running browser and many other apps), push alerts is a form of multitasking, safari state saves so when you go back to it it will be in exactly the same place you left it.

All the OS really needs is the ability to leave audio apps running in the BG that aren't the iPod app...state saving on all apps, and a task switcher.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those familiar with the design of iPhone 4.0 said that the user interface will resemble Apple's desktop Expose feature, in that a key combination -- reportedly hitting the Home button twice -- will trigger an expose-like interface that brings up a series of icons representing the currently running apps, allowing users to quickly select the one they want to switch to directly. When a selection is made, the iPhone OS zooms out of the Expose task manager and transitions to that app.

It is sounding more and more official that limited multitasking will be coming out soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts