What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad MS exchange and Security?

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not asking how, I'm asking can it?

That is, once you setup an exchange account on the iPad, it sets a secure code that you need to enter on boot. 6 digit or more. Can this be hacked? I'm concerned with security, we have users wanting to use the ipads on campus and its now law to not use anything that CAN be hacked for privacy and content/data issues

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me say this.
Anything can be hacked. If it lights up, it can be hacked in some way. iOS is pretty rock solid with security. As long as nobody jailbreaks and opens that risk of being "hacked" you should be fine.

LGgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
".. its now law to not use anything that CAN be hacked for privacy and content/data issues"

so you've stop selling everything up there, I can hack TV remotes.

if your laws are that strict then surely everything that is
sent and received must be encrypted also.

I echo Timmah on your issue anything can be hacked, anything.

As for Jailbreaking you can actually increase the security if it is jailbroken.
There are apps in the Cydia store like firewall IP that can enhance security over what apple provides. But I suspect your laws would consider jailbreaking to be a hack so not of any use to you.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
its now law to not use anything that CAN be hacked for privacy and content/data issues

ROFL, then what do you guys use?

There is less of a chance that an iPad/iPhone will be hacked than there is for a PC/Mac to be hacked.

Would be nice if my work only used ipads, I would have no security issues to worry about.

OP
N

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I worded it a few things wrong. I realise anything can be hacked by the right person, heck I have mod'd every system I've ever owned. I do it as a hobby. I'm no noob to mod'ing, but I'm completely new to apple. Fact is, iphones haven't been here as long as Blackberry and are relatively new to our area in comparison.

We have had issues here where someone lost a phone, data got stollen, another with a laptop. We are Government, and they enforced a new law relating to handhelds, laptop, phones etc concerning sensitive data. There have been cases of sensitive data being lost or stolen and now it's the I.T. people and our jobs on the line if we start putting out non-secure devices that cause that data to be lost. So we need to at least encrypt or lockdown via passcodes on whatever we can. But if the passcodes can be hacked by average Joe in 60 seconds, that's not good.

The boss here insists on Blackberry, and is convinced the iphone is not secure. That ANY password on the device during startup can be hacked and bypassed and the data on it stolen. I wasn't sure with the newer updates and ios's if this is still possible with the iphone 4 or ipads.

The other thing that we can do with blackberry is if one does get stolen, our own department can wipe the device remotely using our own internal blackberry servers. I'm not sure Apple has something like this in place.

I'm trying to find reasons to justify switching us to iphones as I hate Blackberry. They are horrible to use, frustrate users, limited apps etc. Maybe what I should be doing is seeing if data on a blackberry can be compromised too so they can stop justifying the Blackberry as being more safe.

Anyways, thanks

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Maybe I worded it a few things wrong. I realise anything can be hacked by the right person, heck I have mod'd every system I've ever owned. I do it as a hobby. I'm no noob to mod'ing, but I'm completely new to apple. Fact is, iphones haven't been here as long as Blackberry and are relatively new to our area in comparison.

UAE is set to ban blackberries from being used by their government employee's in October due to security issues. Newsy | UAE: BlackBerry a National Security Threat | Multisource Video News Analysis

Iphones and iPads have the option to remotely lock, locate, and wipe all data as long as its associated with a mobile me account.

Most reactions

Latest posts