What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad mini2 - longer battery life or not?

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy,

I use Battery Doctor HD in order to maintain battery capacity and today I had a chance to open the same APP on two ipads. Mini1 and mini2. As far as I know (perhaps I'm wrong) mini2 has a bigger battery than mini1 and yet for some reason the main screen of that APP says 19h for my mini1 and 17h in case of mini2 after a full recharge. What do you think? What does your say? Does mini2 have a larger battery or not?

Thanks a million,

Cheers

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has a larger battery, but it also has twice {edit: twice in each direction, so 4X as many} as many pixels, more RAM, and different chips inside and runs at higher clock speeds. Hence, it is difficult to say that it has longer battery life unless one runs careful tests. Most reports I have seen claim it does have longer battery life, but I cannot personally confirm or deny it.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Through numbers, the iPad Mini w/ RD has a larger battery capacity, having 6470 mAh, and the Mini has a 4490 mAh capacity. But as AQ_OC stated, because you have a stronger processor, more RAM, better hardware, and a higher demand for resources from multiple aspects, the numbers don't really show that you'll have a longer battery life. In terms of usage time, the "Apple listed/tested" usage time has always been the same throughout all of the generations. Newer generations have better specs, and in turn will have a larger battery capacity to maintain the 10 Wifi /9-10 3G /10 Videos /140 Audio.

OP
M

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers.

One more question. I bought a mini2 and it came with 75% of battery charge... I left it on and after a long time it dropped to 9%. I know some websites say that it's not advised to let it drop below 5%... Some people advise to start recharging it when the battery level reaches 20%... Do you think I did any harm to my ipad by letting it go down to 9% before recharing?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers.

One more question. I bought a mini2 and it came with 75% of battery charge... I left it on and after a long time it dropped to 9%. I know some websites say that it's not advised to let it drop below 5%... Some people advise to start recharging it when the battery level reaches 20%... Do you think I did any harm to my ipad by letting it go down to 9% before recharing?

No. I charge my iPads when it is convenient and don't use rigid rules to worry about charging them. This is how they are intended to be used.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've let my iPads (Air and Mini 1) drop below 5% numerous times. The only real 'rule' I follow in charging is to drain them completely once a month or so. Otherwise, I charge them whenever I feel like it. The battery life on both is fantastic; I've had the Mini for more than a year now and the battery life is just as good as ever.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has a larger battery, but it also has twice {edit: twice in each direction, so 4X as many} as many pixels, more RAM, and different chips inside and runs at higher clock speeds. Hence, it is difficult to say that it has longer battery life unless one runs careful tests. Most reports I have seen claim it does have longer battery life, but I cannot personally confirm or deny it.

It sounds like the larger battery was added, not for the sake of longer battery life, but because it was necessary with the new components in order to have a similar lifespan when compared to the previous model.

Gee, I hope that made sense.

Most reactions