What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Mini2 Help

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and the ipad mini. My experience has been with Windows and Pc's
I have heard and read all the hype pertaining to Apple stuff and decided to stick my toe in with the ipad mini to see what all the buzz was about. I do have a question while learning about this tablet. I have a bunch of ripped movies on my pc and would like to load/transfer some to my ipad w/o itunes, Is there an app/program that I can get to accomplish this task. Would prefer something free and not having to jump thru 100 hoops to do it. I have out that there is no drag/drop method of getting this done. Looking for help and guidance from you experienced
Apple wizards.

Regards,
saturnsky08

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The better third party media players do cost a few $$$ so I reckon it's worth that for something reliable. My personal recommendation is nPlayer by newin. I'm sure others would like to share their personal preference.

The beauty of the third party players is that you don't need to convert and import into iTunes, you can play most files natively. Each app has their own set of options for the actual transfer of the video files to it.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The better third party media players do cost a few $$$ so I reckon it's worth that for something reliable. My personal recommendation is nPlayer by newin. I'm sure others would like to share their personal preference.

The beauty of the third party players is that you don't need to convert and import into iTunes, you can play most files natively. Each app has their own set of options for the actual transfer of the video files to it.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Dhewson777,
Thanks for the prompt reply and app named. I normally use vlc to view my movies. But I am looking for a way to transfer movies from my PC to my Ipad. Drag and drop does not work. I did not see in the app description that transfer could be done.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has full network access via various protocols, including PNP/DLNA, SMB, etc. In addition it has a wifi transfer mode where you open that then go to your browser on your PC and upload to the web address given (a web interface created by the app for uploading files).

You can also use the file transfer option built into the iTunes apps tab, but I know you didn't want to use iTunes if I recall.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brian 244 after loading dropbox with files, how do I get them to my ipad? Do I connect ipad to my pc and drag/drop files to ipad? Or is there so other way to accomplish this transfer?

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has full network access via various protocols, including PNP/DLNA, SMB, etc. In addition it has a wifi transfer mode where you open that then go to your browser on your PC and upload to the web address given (a web interface created by the app for uploading files).

You can also use the file transfer option built into the iTunes apps tab, but I know you didn't want to use iTunes if I recall.
Dhewson777,
Acquired an app named "Wireless Transfer" for 2.99 and used it to upload photos to my ipad.
Loaded approx. 100 photos but it was slow going. Don't know whether it was the app or the wireless connection. Have no clue pertaining to wireless speeds etc. I can see that it would take forever to upload a movie to my ipad. Currently I am using a Belkin router that is less then three years old.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brian 244 after loading dropbox with files, how do I get them to my ipad? Do I connect ipad to my pc and drag/drop files to ipad? Or is there so other way to accomplish this transfer?

Get the drop box app from the app store. Whatever you place in your drop box folder in your pC will show up in the app, allowing you to open it on the ipad.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get the drop box app from the app store. Whatever you place in your drop box folder in your pC will show up in the app, allowing you to open it on the ipad.
If I am understanding you, all I have to do is install dropbox on my PC and Ipad, load dropbox with files on my PC's version, connect my Ipad to my PC, open the Ipad's dropbox version and my files will be there.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I am understanding you, all I have to do is install dropbox on my PC and Ipad, load dropbox with files on my PC's version, connect my Ipad to my PC, open the Ipad's dropbox version and my files will be there.

Forget the "connect iPad to PC" part. Once files on your PC are in the Dropbox, they are synced to Dropbox's cloud server. When the iPad's Dropbox app connects, it will show you a list of the files stored there, which you can flag to download locally to the iPad, and also transfer to another app if needed.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forget the "connect iPad to PC" part. Once files on your PC are in the Dropbox, they are synced to Dropbox's cloud server. When the iPad's Dropbox app connects, it will show you a list of the files stored there, which you can flag to download locally to the iPad, and also transfer to another app if needed.
Just to let you know, I have installed dropbox on both my pc and Ipad, copied photos and a movie, and everything worked just as you stated, therefore I am good to go, thanks for some great advice. PS:seems as if copy/paste, drag/drop was faster then using the wireless app to populate dropbox on my pc.

OP
S

saturnsky08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I have installed dropbox on both my pc and Ipad, copied photos and a movie, and everything worked just as you stated, therefore I am good to go, thanks for some great advice. PS:seems as if copy/paste, drag/drop was faster then using the wireless app to populate dropbox on my pc.
Sorry that I am late thanking everyone for their assistance and help in looking for answers to my query, I am verry appreciative to all that responded to my query, again thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts