What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard that its way more expensive and worse then other products like the amazon kindle fire is it true?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard that its way more expensive and worse then other products like the amazon kindle fire is it true?

Depends. Are you asking an iPad fanboi, a Kindle fanboi, a Android fanboi or a Surface fanboi?

IPad fanboi will say: "It is the best product on the market for the money".

Kindle fanboi will say: "iPad costs $129 more to read a book. Seems like a waste of money you could spend on books instead".

Android fanboi will say: "iOS is a walled gardened. Sure Kindle is sort of locked too but it is more open than iOS".

Surface fanboi will say: "iOS and Android inhales profusely. MS for the WIN".

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you define "worse"? In terms of hardware alone, other tablets offer more for less, but is that the whole story? In my opinion it isn't, but that's just my opinion. You have to do your research and figure out which product is right for you. Cadillac and Chevrolet offer the same lumps of plastic and metal, but one costs substantially more than the other, yet there is a market for both. I would say the same applies here.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well it's worse that it can't beam you to planet Vulkan but what tablet can.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
Had to find out how you did that than I checked Settings > General > Transporter > Beam To Vulkan problem solved!!!!!

No, it's Settings/Admiral, not Settings/General

Sent from my iPad using iPF

lecycliste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gues the Transporter feature isn't supported by the iPhone 4S hardware, even with iOS 6...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a big Amazon prime user, so the Kindle fire HD ought to be right up my alley. In fact, I may still get one. I already have a Kindle Fire, and I find the excessively thick skin they put over Android to be too confining for my tastes. Instead of a general purpose tablet, it is like a device designed strictly to serve up Amazon content and very little else. As a tablet, I grab my Google Nexus 7 before putting my hands on my Kindle Fire, which has been buried under a heap of stuff on my desk for a month or so. It does hold battery life well.

Frankly, there is little that I can do in the Fire that I can't do on an iPad. Even their instant videos play in my iPad, as there is an App. The Amazon cloud player works too, but it designed for a phone. The Kindle book reader is there, as is Audible.com (an iphone app). I think the only thing I don't get is the lending library, but that isn't that important to me because since I read all day I dont' want to read for pleasure...I listen to audiobook instead.

But still, the regular Kindle can be rooted and one can run JellyBean on it. I might do that, or just give it to my brother for Xmas and he will get the skin off it in under two seconds. The HD kindles have some nice hardware, so they may still be worth consideration...either as an Amazon content viewer or as a general purpose tablet. Your choice. I don't think you can go too far wrong with them, honestly. The price is just too good for that.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
nat_son31 said:
It's selling for $330 and I do think it is pricey for a smaller screen. :(

Agreed. It should have came in at $299. Would have helped. Extra storage ramps up the price very quickly too. Just can't get down with it. The mini seems to have been rushed out with whatever parts they had laying around. No excuse for a lack of the retina screen for that price point. All that being said, they'll sell a trillion of them so who cares what I think, right? :)

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. It should have came in at $299. Would have helped. Extra storage ramps up the price very quickly too. Just can't get down with it. The mini seems to have been rushed out with whatever parts they had laying around. No excuse for a lack of the retina screen for that price point. All that being said, they'll sell a trillion of them so who cares what I think, right? :)

Making a larger 326ppi screen is an excuse. Making such a screen that has uniform characteristics over a larger area is one. Quality of color, contrast is another. All those extra pixels also means more battery is needed to power it, and stronger processor to drive it. How much will this weigh after you do all of that? How warm will it become?

If you don't want the device, don't buy it. But as far as I can tell, people posting claims aren't producing devices, and thus have no experience whatsoever.

And finally, Amazon and Google are producing devices that they what make no profit from, hoping that they will earn a profit on selling content. That is a big risk that may ultimately lead to reduced competition and less choice because vendors who don't make a profit will stop making devices altogether. This race toward the bottom is going to ultimately harm the consumer.

Personally, I buy no content from itunes & google. I buy apps made by developers. I do buy content from Amazon, but those are movie downloads that I want on my TV and mp3s. I also take advantage of my prime membership, so if I want a show, it is free. I also buy kindle books and audible audiobook, but all of that is available across platforms.

I can't help but wonder who out there is actually renting movies and TV from Itunes, google, and amazon to watch on their tablet? And how profitable just this segment of their business is. What is going to happen to Samsung, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc, who make tablets and try to earn a profit on them?

This is so not good for the long term, folks. Only three companies have a change in this game: Apple, Amazon, and Google. And Amazon and Google are fighting for the very bottom.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Bolded the sentence that I am about to address.

1) The battery was a new form factor.
2) Screen was a new form factor.
3) Motherboard layout was a new form factor.
4) Shell was a new form factor.

Lets take a look at what is left over that wasn't new. A5 processor, memory and some discrete components for support. Hmmmm...

Yeah your "seems" needs to be reevaluated with actual facts. Because the Mini was designed from the ground up as a new product for a specific market segment. And with the new costing information that has been released, this is Apple's least profitable project in the last 2 years. Adding a retina screen would have made it nearly impossible to have any kind of manufacturing cost protection built in due to market fluctuation of production. IE Apple priced it properly based on the cost to make it.

Most reactions

Latest posts