What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Will be Ultra Thin Thanks to GF Ditto Technology

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_case_August.JPG

According to a report on AppleInsider today, Apple’s forthcoming iPad mini, thought to be due for release around October time, will be so thin and light that it is even posing some unique production problems. The news comes from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities, who said in a research note to investors today that the iPad mini will use cutting-edge “GF Ditto†technology, aka GF2 touchscreen technology. Kuo says that the tech is so new that Apple will be the first company anywhere in the world to use GF Ditto technology on a commercially mass-produced basis. AppleInsider says that this new technology is believed to be an improvement on the G/G touch structure that Apple currently uses in the latest iPad, and as a result of using it, the iPad mini will be much lighter and thinner. In fact Kuo even goes as far as to say that the iPad mini will be as thin as the iPhone 5, coming in at less than 4.2 millimeters. I can’t wait for Apple to unveil it the more I hear about it!

Source: 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds sweet. If they can do that, then I'll get one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like lighter, but thinner isn't a priority for me. Gadgets can end up too thin to me -- makes it harder to grip comfortably. I think my touch 4 is too thin, for instance.

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will love to see what this ipad mini will have on the insides since the rumours are the iphone will have the next gen A6 chip and also hopefully a 128GB model that I kind of expected to see on the new ipad but I hope they dont make it too small as i kind of like the size of the new ipad but it is a little on the heavy side when you first buy it

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like lighter, but thinner isn't a priority for me. Gadgets can end up too thin to me -- makes it harder to grip comfortably. I think my touch 4 is too thin, for instance.

Well, it's not going to be paper thin. There are real limits. Wait to see.

RichKiddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinner means less battery. 6 hours walking around London today, face booking, tethering my ipad3 and taking a few photos took my 4S down to 12%. I'd have a thicker phone with more battery any day!

SuperNU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like lighter and thinner. If iPad mini is coming this fall. I would like to buy one!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RichKiddy said:
Thinner means less battery. 6 hours walking around London today, face booking, tethering my ipad3 and taking a few photos took my 4S down to 12%. I'd have a thicker phone with more battery any day!

Or you can get a battery case for your 4S.

Most reactions

Latest posts