What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini Wallpaper function broken?

Northern_blades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really sure what to say here.
I have spent hours, trying to do something so simple, that it hurts my brain..

I guess this is the best way to explain it.

I am wondering why The Ipad mini with retina display with he new IOS is so poor at dealing with wallpapers?

This is the image,
I have drawn the landscape and portrait outlines,
but, for some reason, it just does not work this way

here is the image

http://s15.postimg.org/ipi4w7hcr/smallimage_with_2zones.jpg
smallimage_with_2zones.jpg

as well as a very clear video showing the problemrigin off the bottom right corner of the image.
this is NOT hard, this is not complicated.
but for some reason... it can't be done?

https://youtu.be/RTSmPrMeoJ0

Mac mini, simple task, made difficult?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Been a while since I played with it, but I did a lot of testing several months back. This is what I found. The landscape mode is the main view that you set. Whatever you set in landscape, you basically get a slice of that in portrait.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445659065.108051.jpg

You can slide things around a bit, and you can get closer to the edges of the original picture if you turn off Perspective Zoom, but there is no way to force the wallpaper around certain limitations. What I ended up doing with pictures I wanted a different view on was taking them into an art app and adding lots of boarder around the original picture. Just making the picture larger (more pixels) does not work, because Wallpaper scales the picture no matter the original size. Even then, it can be tricky.

Eventually I decided that trying to make a picture fit the way I wanted was too much work. Instead I just play around with a lot of pictures until I find one that looks good within what Wallpaper allows me to do.

My theory on why it is this way is that it makes the transition between landscape and portrait look like you are zooming in and out of the picture; rather than some awkward re-arraingment. I'm not convinced that there isn't a better compromise between being able to set wallpapers any way you want and nice transitions; but have to admit that Apple's designed team get paid a lot more than me to make those kind of decisions.

At any rate, the upshot is that if you want your content to look good in both landscape and portrait, you need to make sure that the part of the picture you want to see is near the center of the original.

Caveat: I haven't played with any of this since iOS 9. It's possible it is no longer working the same way.

Note: I did not try to include the ability to zoom into a picture, which is also possible. I've often used this with larger pictures to make a wallpaper out of a detail, rather than the whole picture. Anyway, the transition to portrait works the same. You still only get a slice of the landscape view.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
P.S. Just watched your video. Yep. That's the way it works. Like my diagram shows, The portrait view is always that middle slice of the landscape view. You can't change that. It looks like you can, but you can't. The reason the picture keeps bouncing back is that all you can do is push the landscape view as far left as possible. So it will move a little, but not much.

I'm not sure what happen with the last bit about the difference between the preview and final wallpaper. It might be a side effect of all the sliding around you did trying to get the portrait mode to include the dock; but I'd have to do a lot more experimenting before I'd make any bets on it.

You should be able to get a better compromise by first zooming into the picture (pinch gesture) then arranging the landscape view with the the dock more centered. The trade off is you'll have a lower resolution wallpaper.

Most reactions

Latest posts