What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini vs the competition for eReading?

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Mini vs the competition for e-Reading?

What is your opinion of the iPad Mini vs Kindle Fire HD, Nook Tablet HD, Nexus 7-10, Sony and others for e-Reading Books, Magazines and Newspapers?
Thanks much,:)
Doug

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are really into e-reading, then one of those other devices might serve you better, as the all have higher ppi.

Ravynmagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think the DPI shouldn't be an issue at all for ebooks. Low DPI I only find to be a problem with desktop websites using small fonts. But with an ereader app like the Kindle app, the font size even at default is large enough to be clear and you can adjust the size more if needed.

The iPad mini is very thin and I believe lighter than most of the competition (think the Nook HD might be the lightest).

I don't have an iPad mini. Currently have a Kindle Fire HD and I do like it a lot for ebooks, though it's a bit on the heavy side. I'd really like to have an iPad mini if I could find one in stock.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you make fonts larger then you must scroll more. Ppi makes the most difference for text-based material. This is why higher ppi devices like the retina screen iPads were created.

Yes, the mini is lighter, but it only needs to be so light for the law of diminishing returns to kick in. And a device can be too thin and slippery both of which can make a device harder to hold on to.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And many people tend to wrap their tablets, whatever size, into covers and cases which makes discussions on tablet weight rather academic. I have a good quality solid leather case around my iPad3, which gives it good grip and balance and a good solid weight which I don't mind at all. I have not taken my iPad out of its case since purchase, including when charging. And I feel a cover is essential for a feeling of security.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And many people tend to wrap their tablets, whatever size, into covers and cases which makes discussions on tablet weight rather academic. I have a good quality solid leather case around my iPad3, which gives it good grip and balance and a good solid weight which I don't mind at all. I have not taken my iPad out of its case since purchase, including when charging. And I feel a cover is essential for a feeling of security.
Regards, Andrew

I don't see how it becomes academic. If the device is light and the case it light, the combination won't be heavy. If the device is heavy, then adding a case just makes it heavier, which then makes it less useful. Weight makes a difference. A case can indeed improve grip while providing some level of protection. I place a high premium on the weight of my tablets as I tend to use mine a lot and not just at home.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see how it becomes academic. If the device is light and the case it light, the combination won't be heavy. If the device is heavy, then adding a case just makes it heavier, which then makes it less useful. Weight makes a difference. A case can indeed improve grip while providing some level of protection. I place a high premium on the weight of my tablets as I tend to use mine a lot and not just at home.

You may have missed my point, and without being further "academic" my point was really that you can discuss the weight of an iPad (in uncovered form) until the cows come home, but anyone who puts on a cover no longer feels (or maybe cares about) the uncovered weight of their iPad.
So in that case, knowing they have added a smaller or larger weight, as you have pointed out, they may care how "useful" it is with the cover on. I would think anyone who has bought a heavy cover would realise the whole package becomes heavier. If they couldn't handle that weight, they would have bought a very light cover in the first place.
OK, non-academic lecture over
Regards, Andrew

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may have missed my point, and without being further "academic" my point was really that you can discuss the weight of an iPad (in uncovered form) until the cows come home, but anyone who puts on a cover no longer feels (or maybe cares about) the uncovered weight of their iPad.
So in that case, knowing they have added a smaller or larger weight, as you have pointed out, they may care how "useful" it is with the cover on. I would think anyone who has bought a heavy cover would realise the whole package becomes heavier. If they couldn't handle that weight, they would have bought a very light cover in the first place.
OK, non-academic lecture over
Regards, Andrew&#

:)

I'm a case junkie. I have bought cases that after I got them and put my mini into them I then decided that the combo is too heavy. Depending on how well they work otherwise and what they cost, I either toss them or send them back. Sadly, lots of vendors don't give the weight and you can't try it out first, so you end up in this search the the right case. I have decided now though that a case has to weigh 4 oz of less for me. No way to learn this other than to try some cases.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:)

I'm a case junkie. I have bought cases that after I got them an put my mini into them I then decided that the combo is too heavy. Depending on how well they work otherwise and what they cost, I either toss them or send them back. Sadly, lots of vendors don't give the weight and you can't try it out first, so you end up in this search the the right case. I have decided now though that a case has to weight 4 oz of less for me. No way to learn this other than to try some cases.

Makes sense to me mate! And a late realisation too, there are more and more people now buying stuff on-line.
In Australia the larger emporiums are beginning to now realise that any falling sales had better be countered with the new trend: start producing and get pronto into an on-line sales strategy.
Regards, Andrew

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I owned a Kindle Fire HD and took it back for a refund. I found the system slow and glitchy, and the tabs in the Silk web browser crashed regularly. Amazon has the KFHD locked down rather tightly and I found that the user can't install an alternate keyboard or web browser without side loading - and those are just a few examples of "barred" apps.

I now own an iPad mini and it's much faster and smoother. This is the difference between running code natively (iOS) and running code in a virtual machine (Android).

I know the iPad mini is more expensive but you do get what you pay for.

Socalshocker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll throw my opinion in since I've owned a lot of ereaders

-Kindle Fire : nice size, a little heavier (vs regular Kindle) for extended reading. I sold mine because it did not do so well as a back up web browser.

-Kindle Keyboard : Probably my favorite eInk reader. Light efficient no problems with this one ever (I sold mine when I upgraded to the Fire)

-Kindle Paperwhite : was my primary reader (until I bought this mini) the lighting system wasn't perfect, but its better than an external light. Good if you do lots of reading in he dark in bed.

iPad mini : the perfect mix IMO of weight size and functionality if you're using it as your main reader. It's light enough for extended one handed reading. The other stuff apps/browsing/email are flawless Apple. text isn't pixelated unless you read in giant text/blind mode. Only knock so far on it as a reader is that the side bezel is thin, so there's a lot of accidental page turns.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the average battery life on the Mini when using it just as an ereader?

That would depend on how much you read. Mine is lasting all day with reading a few hours per day. Sometimes I prop it up against something and plug it into the charger.. it's nice when sitting at a desk or table to read.

Also, keep in mind that the battery life gets better with time.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the average battery life on the Mini when using it just as an ereader?

It depends, but it is nothing like that of a true e-reader. I'm of the opinion that if your main thing is reading an e-reader is the better option that a tablet. If you just want to read now and then or just an hour here and there, while also doing a bunch of other stuff, then a tablet is the way to go. And you can own both. E-readers work outside, too.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends, but it is nothing like that of a true e-reader. I'm of the opinion that I'd your main thing is reading an e-reader is the better option that a tablet. If you just want to read now and then or just an hour here and there, while also doing a bunch of other stuff, then a tablet is the way to go. And you can own both. E-readers work outside, too.

Excellent point, the proper tool for the job.

Most reactions

Latest posts